PDA

View Full Version : Review and critique an idea...

X Q mano
11-17-2003, 06:34 AM
I have this idea for a website, or two similar websites actually...

It would be a site where users could create accounts and list cd's and dvd's that they have, and list cd's and dvd's they want, and then they can trade cd's and dvd's from other users. It would be a norwegian site, so I'm not overly afraid that any of you will immediately steal my idea. :)

Anyway, what do you think of the idea? Would it be possible for me only to maintain the site, and the users who want to trade to do the mailing of cd's and dvd's...

Is there a way to make sure that they actually do this, and get value for their money?

What other things would I have to consider?

I don't know where else than this place to post this, but I would very much like to hear your views...

Thanks in advance... :)

Cloughie
11-17-2003, 06:59 AM
Well the only way to try and moderate it would be to run a system like ebay. Where people can give each other a rating if they have agreed deals with each other.

Seems like quite a good idea actually.

chromate
11-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I really like the idea. Once it gets popular, it could be really strong! There would be quite a lot of programming involved to make it all run smoothly though.

I don't think there's any way to be possitive that the other party will actually mail their CD though. This is where the whole thing could fall down. It's not like you can escrow it or anything like that.

The only thing I can think of is this... When two parties want to swap CD's (or whatever they're swapping)...

1) Both parties send you some money to cover your postage costs (read on) and maybe a little bit more so you can make a profit.

2) Both parties send you their respective CD's along with the unique ID number that is automatically assigned to the swap.

3) You wait until you recieve both the CD's and then post them on to their new owners.

4) If one person doesn't send their CD within say 20 days, then you cancel the swap and send the CD back to its original owner. However, you still keep the money (admin charge!)

I think this could work... it would need a lot of work though, but you could cover that in your charges.

Check out the legal side of things before you start as well. You don't want to be liable for anything so you would need to draw up a "terms and conditions" type thing.

Sounds good though.

incka
11-17-2003, 09:50 AM
I've seen similar ideas... It could work, but don't just do CDs and DVDs... Let them do collectables, etc...

X Q mano
11-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Collectables? What do you mean by that? :) Sorry I'm norwegian, and not very used to the term... :)

incka
11-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Swappable cards, swappable things that people buy to try to get more than others and enjoy what they collect. I collect R.E.M. stuff.

X Q mano
11-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Ah... Thanks for the tip... :)

I'd also appreciate more thoughts on the idea, if anyone wants to give them... :)

incka
11-18-2003, 02:44 PM
I have one.

Don't call it XQ unless you can get the domain www.xq.com

X Q mano
11-18-2003, 03:25 PM
That's taken looong ago... no, I would use a norwegian name... :) As the target-group would be norwegians...

incka
11-19-2003, 12:40 AM
What about Swedes and Finns?

X Q mano
11-19-2003, 01:37 PM
What about them?

michael_gersitz
11-19-2003, 04:14 PM
(think that was the name he suggested for the site)

X Q mano
11-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Do you? I think he was refering to people from Sweden and Finland... :)