PDA

View Full Version : Alexa shows networks of sites from owner

Tijmen
03-15-2006, 11:35 PM
When you go to Alexa and search for a domain, it now also displays all the sites that are owned by that person/company. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does show a whole network of sites.

Nice way to check out what network the competition owns, but the downside is that they can do the same thing for you. I personally don't mind, but i'm sure some people would prefer to keep their network private.

Alexa - Amazon.com (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?url=www.amazon.com)

Alexa - Problogger.net (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/?url=www.problogger.net)

Cutter
03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Basically a reverse whois lookup; This is really cool I was actually looking for a tool that does that a few months before.

For the record, I do not own the sites that it says for webpublishingblog.com. (I am absolutely 100% positive I don't own j*zzonmyjuggs.com :D I think because I'm using registerfly's whois privacy and so are those other domains (and thousands of others)

KLB
03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
They aren't showing the other sites I own, so apparently they don't always put two and two together.

What I find interesting is that the more I focus on attracting users on corporate networks the lower my Alexa rating becomes even though there is no siginficant change in my traffic patterns. This tends to make me think that Alexa is becoming more and more skewed toward ranking sites that attract home users higher than sites that attract people on managed networks like companies and schools. I suspect this is because most network and system administrators are smart enough to make sure that the Alexa toolbar and other similar toolbars can not be installed on their network computers.

Cutter
03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
There is a alexa tracking image you can add to your site so users don't need toolbars. I haven't tried it out, but it might be worth a shot.

KLB
03-16-2006, 11:59 AM
The last thing I want is Alexa to be able to get accurate stats about my website. It just seems like a really bad idea.

SEbasic
03-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Why do you say that?

It's another source of traffic (And a damn good one if you spam your way into the top 100).

KLB
03-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I don't see any value to my users or to myself in allowing Alexa to mine data about the traffic patterns on my website. At least with Google AdSense, Google is paying me hefty amounts in advertising fees which allows me to buy new articles that my users benefit from.