PDA

View Full Version : Using Wordpress for whole site?

r2d2
03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I have decided to have a go at writing a blog on my house buying site, and have just been having a go with Wordpress, and wondering if I could use it to manage the whole site. I could just add the content pages I have as static pages in WP. Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do?

Also whats the consensus on integrating a blog with a content site? Have the latest few blog posts on the front page?

SEbasic
03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
I use WP as the main CMS for a number of sites I run.

It's a great way of getting lots of sites online within a fairly short period of time.

My only issues so far are with server load.

WP isnt the most streamlined of apps, so if you end up building thousands of pages and getting thousands of uniques a day you could find issues.

Aside from that, it's an awesome tool, easy to skin, and easy to customise ~ so maybe what you're looking for. :)

r2d2
03-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Ok, thanks for that.

I guess if things become tight, you could create static html versions of common pages where possible.

Dural
03-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Are you using the new caching function in version 2 .0? That should help with server load.

ket
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Also whats the consensus on integrating a blog with a content site? Have the latest few blog posts on the front page?

WP is so "customisable" that it can do almost everything you need.

To integrate the content site with the blog, I would have a section on the right/left side (wherever the menu is) that has the "latest posts" :brow:

ses5909
03-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Yep, you can definitely use it as a CMS for an entire site. More and more people are starting to do this. I think this trend will continue to grow.

Hylo
04-14-2006, 04:03 AM
Wordpress is just so easy to get up and running with and then customise that I've stopped using other CMSs altogether for now.

Search engines seem to show them a lot more love quickly as well.

paul
04-14-2006, 06:42 AM
What would be pros/cons of using Joomla instead of Wordpress in this situation?

Giles
04-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Cons
*Joomla is clunky and large
*Joomla is bloated with modules

Pros
*More features
*More 3rd part modules

It really depends on what kind of site you want to make. If it is simply a content site then I recommend Wordpress, If it is a community or more complicated site then use Jommla or another CMS.

fredarn
04-17-2006, 03:54 AM
i use WP on my hole site, http://golfsiden.net

Giles
04-17-2006, 05:10 AM
I'm just starting to get used to it now and it's great!

I'm about to check out what the plugins are like. Anyone know of any particularly good oes?

KelliShaver
04-17-2006, 09:20 PM
I like this one (http://www.rockschtar.de/wp-plugin-sh-autolink/) a lot for automatic link generation.

Giles
04-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks, great pluin.

I am also experimenting with AdSense Deluxe(easy adsense intergration and insertion) and Google sitemaps(automatically generated sitemaps with every new post/page).

Hylo
04-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Adsense Deluxe and Google Sitemaps are good ones.

I like the database backup one they've bundled with WP 2.0 now, quick and easy to backup and e-mail the zip file to yourself.

Try iImage Browser (http://www.fredfred.net/skriker/index.php/iimage-browser) for uploading and adding images to posts.