PDA

View Full Version : another joke site getting traffic with no seo

Sagewing
03-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Hello all -

Well, once again an internal joke within our company has turned into a profitable affiliate site! (the last one was dotfart.com which is now breaking the $1000/month level with very little effort!). This time, it's www.guesswhosthejew.com . This was built by one of our developers, just for a laugh. Suddenly, it's getting quite a bit of traffic (about 1000//uniques/day and steadily rising) so we would like to find a way to monetize it somehow.

I've tried putting various types of ads on it, but haven't seen a decent CTR from anything. YPN/Adsense bring about .02% CTR. We also tried Chikita, jDate, and a mixed bag from cj.com. Nothing converts!

Maybe it's the ad placement, but my suspicion is that the ads just aren't targeted enough. Anyone have ANY ideas about how to monetize this traffic?
Any thoughts welcome :D

thanks, Dave

ses5909
03-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't have any thoughts as I'm just starting to get into this side of the business. But it's definitely inspiration to people like me.

Sagewing
03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Well, that's something! We have yet another site being made as a trial for a new designer. This is getting interesting - we pay a designer $300 for a design trial and we always use an internal site for the job because we dont want to risk real client work for trials. Since we hardly have any internal design needs (at the moment) we usually go with something that's been making us laugh.

So far, we've seen a 2000% percent return on those trials. Who knew?

ses5909
03-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Don't knock it if it works. But of course, it would be wonderfult to know WHY and HOW it works!