PDA

View Full Version : Multi-lingual forum

Cutter
03-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Found the wierdest forum today:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/

I've never seen so many languages spoken on a single forum. On certain forums I will occasionally see a few people speak in one language in a thread, but this forum is divided by geographic regions. I would suspect that language would be a solid barrier in dividing seperate forums, but aparently not on this one.

Anyone else find this as intreresting as I do? :D

Erin
03-12-2006, 09:06 PM
That is interesting. Looks like a pidgin in action. I hear a lot of my Chinese friends mix English and Chinese all the time (it's kind of "cool"). I don't know anything about Tagalog, but since the thread I checked had members from Manila, I wonder if the other languages are Tagalog. Scratch that.

It looks like it posts stuff from all over the world in different forum categories. It looks like people post in their own languages in those forums. I found an interesting quote that shows that at least one person isn't in on the joke:

^ I seriously don't understand what you are trying to say?
what the heck is this JAKARTA no nat nead Part 1 514 23,915

Cutter
03-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I've got most of those character sets installed, I like looking at the layout of different sites and just doesn't look right when the characters are wrong.

moonshield
03-13-2006, 02:32 PM
lol. I actually post at that forum and post much more often a similar forum. Some of tensions between the various parts of the forums are hilarious.

Chris
03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
It must be hard to moderate, you'd need mods who can speak every language.

moonshield
03-13-2006, 03:08 PM
That's just the thing over there. The moderation is terrible if not non-existent. It has slowly been getting a little better over the past few months, but that's not saying much.