PDA

View Full Version : Ether.com - Selling your advice

Bleys
03-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figure this might be best place.

The other day I came across this new services called Ether (http://www.ether.com/). Basically, as I understand it, you sign up and get a free extension on a 1800 number that points to any phoints to any number you'd like. You set the hours you want the number active and your per/hour,minute,call rate. Then you market your over the phone consulting services any way you want with that number and get paid when people call you.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how useful it will be. How many people who have the time/desire to do over the phone consulting have the credentials to attract customers? It might be useful for college students to market tutoring services over the phone at lower rates than traditional tutoring (which can be expensive--my brother is grad student at Harvard and gets up to $90/hour).

If it does catch on, and people actually find a use for this service, Ether's cut is 10-15%.

Thoughts?

Erin
03-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I could see it working out. If they had a good system of feedback, history, etc., I would consider trying it out myself.

Jon
03-25-2006, 10:32 AM
There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd be getting into that rotten stuff pretty soon..
~Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Sorry!! I just couldn't resist!!!

James
03-25-2006, 05:53 PM
*starts playing Bat Country*

I'd say it could be pretty good if your number didn't rotate; but I'm sure that they must rotate numbers on your off hours, so I'm sure that a lot of people must end up calling back and getting someone else.

Bleys
04-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Oops... forgot about this thread!

*starts playing Bat Country*

I'd say it could be pretty good if your number didn't rotate; but I'm sure that they must rotate numbers on your off hours, so I'm sure that a lot of people must end up calling back and getting someone else.

I'm not sure if they do. 1800 numbers are pretty cheap these days. And I think they give you an extension rather than a number (so someone calls a number, then has to enter your extenstion)--but don't quote me on that. Which would keep costs down even further.

Jon: Best. Movie. Ever. (Good book, too ;)).

I think someone could be successful with this. For example, if Jon or Chris offered live advice over the phone, I am positive people would pay good money for the chance to pick their brains for a half hour one-on-one. I think I might.

Of course, those two could make more money spending their time working on their websites, but you get the idea. :)

Bleys
05-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Pete Cashmore, a well-known Web 2.0 consultant and blogger, posted his experience with Ether last week: http://mashable.com/2006/05/10/my-week-in-the-ether/

BP2000
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the link Bleys!