PDA

View Full Version : How funny..

Jon
03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
So I get this PM on SP today of someone asking me for advice. So typically I do read all of the messages I get, I just don't answer them usually because it's either a lot of work/time or they are doing fine without my help. Anyhow, so I look at this one guy's site, and see a keyword to a site that apparently ripped one of my hobby sites, almost word for word and images/videos AND layout. Now usually I don't really care if someone does that, because I've been known to do some shady things every now and then, but holy crap, the guy literally copied everything!

I did ask him nicely to remove everything, so hopefully he will.

Here is my site: www.iraqwarvideos.com

Here is his site: www.waronterrorismvideos.com

PS - Anyone wanna run Iraq War Videos for me? I have ZERO time and instead of selling it, I want someone to manage it for me instead. I'll be switching servers in about a month or so. It was pulling in about $30k a month from FC/Adsense before my server problem left me with a no backup site. You'll also be required to sing an NDA, so have access to a fax machine.

MrGeeK
03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I might be interested, what would you want me to do and whats the deal your offering? (Just in general terms before needing to go to the NDA stage, unless you really want to do that straight away)

Jon
03-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I might be interested, what would you want me to do and whats the deal your offering?

I dunno.. what do you want?

You'd pretty much go through all of the really graphic and depressing videos and write titles and descriptions for them. You'd have to remove all of the terrorist kidnapper videos and such too. Perhaps write a few articles too, or get something plugged in to do that automatically. You'd also have to manage the server and make sure everything is up to par, because the video section uses A LOT of bandwidth. Some of the perks of the site include that it's been mentioned on The Howard Stern Show twice already, and there are a few articles floating around from the WSJ and NYT that mentioned the site too. I also get videos sent in from people with close contact to some of the terror groups, so you'd have to get confirmation from an FBI contact of mine first on whether or not we can show it (I'm serious).

Cutter
03-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Wow, thats pretty freaky. Did you register this domain new or pick it up second hand?

MrGeeK
Sounds interesting, as to what I want...I'd certainly love to learn heaps from you (which I think doing this would achieve), cash of course is cool but wouldn't be mine motivation. (I would have taken this to pm but I know how you feel about uninvited pm's)

Jon
Wow, thats pretty freaky. Did you register this domain new or pick it up second hand?

New.

Jon
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Sounds interesting, as to what I want...I'd certainly love to learn heaps from you (which I think doing this would achieve), cash of course is cool but wouldn't be mine motivation. (I would have taken this to pm but I know how you feel about uninvited pm's)

Well paying you in information and mentorship is a hell of a lot more attractive than paying out in cash!

MrGeeK
03-10-2006, 03:58 PM
I really should read my posts a bit better before I hit the post button.

s/mine/main/

Just been having a bit of a look around the site, you have a few minor pathing issues:

http://www.iraqwarvideos.com/Submission-Rules-/Iraq-War-Stories-9,8,3.html
http://www.iraqwarvideos.com/Iraq-War-Stories-9,8,3.html

Also both pages (in firefox anyway) are blank except for advertising. (I'm assuming this is one of the things that need to be fixed.)

How much time would you say is required to maintain the site properly? I wouldnt want to take something on that I couldn't do properly or that isn't going to leave me time to work on my own little sites.

Jon
03-10-2006, 04:45 PM
I really should read my posts a bit better before I hit the post button.

s/mine/main/

Just been having a bit of a look around the site, you have a few minor pathing issues:

http://www.iraqwarvideos.com/Submission-Rules-/Iraq-War-Stories-9,8,3.html
http://www.iraqwarvideos.com/Iraq-War-Stories-9,8,3.html

Also both pages (in firefox anyway) are blank except for advertising. (I'm assuming this is one of the things that need to be fixed.)

How much time would you say is required to maintain the site properly? I wouldnt want to take something on that I couldn't do properly or that isn't going to leave me time to work on my own little sites.

An hour a day, less probably. I never spent more than an hour updating it everyday, sometimes every other day, depending on how much action was going on in the war. Nowadays it's mostly car bombs with no video, so I think it would be a lot less time in total. The site uses a custom CMS, but I've recently cancelled my subscribtion with them, so it may run out and I'll have to get something new done. The only thing I like about the current layout and CMS is that it's very customizable for the engines, which it used to dominate for all iraq war related terms for well over a year.

You can email me at navyseals @ gmail for further inquiries.

peach
03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
I also get videos sent in from people with close contact to some of the terror groups, so you'd have to get confirmation from an FBI contact of mine first on whether or not we can show it (I'm serious).
wow
that reminds you of how closely the internet is connected to the real world.

MrGeeK
03-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Done.

BGray
03-10-2006, 07:52 PM
That site is freaking deep. To be honest I'd be scared ****less to run it.

Ben
03-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I would be too. Iraq war is a really touchy subject

Jon
03-11-2006, 01:34 PM

It's certainly depressing to watch the videos that get submitted.. but the site was mentioned on The Howard Stern show twice already because of the content we had on there. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it in the end.

Robb
03-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi Jon, I've followed your post on SP, and then onto the blog here, and now onto the forums. your story, and your information you share is fascinating to me, and I love learning from you. It sucks your site got copied like that, but on the other hand, its really cool youve been mentioned on howard stern. :)

keep up the good work Jon

- Robb

Sagewing
03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
It is not pretty, but such is war.

Lord Brar
03-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I dunno.. what do you want?

You'd pretty much go through all of the really graphic and depressing videos and write titles and descriptions for them. You'd have to remove all of the terrorist kidnapper videos and such too. Perhaps write a few articles too, or get something plugged in to do that automatically. You'd also have to manage the server and make sure everything is up to par, because the video section uses A LOT of bandwidth. Some of the perks of the site include that it's been mentioned on The Howard Stern Show twice already, and there are a few articles floating around from the WSJ and NYT that mentioned the site too. I also get videos sent in from people with close contact to some of the terror groups, so you'd have to get confirmation from an FBI contact of mine first on whether or not we can show it (I'm serious).
Just a FYI -- even The Economist had mentioned it but don't remember the issue! :)

MrGeeK
03-16-2006, 02:41 AM
Hey Jon,

I sent you and email as requested the other day, and then a followup yesterday, I'm wondering:

1. Did you get them?
2. Are you too busy to answer at the moment?
3. You don't want to take it further

Could you let me know, so I can cross it off my attention list if you don't want to proceed.