PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Computer Problem

Doug
03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
My mom just bought the updated Norton Antivirus for her computer. She also got the Norton Go Back software. When she installed the Go Back software is messed the computer up really bad. I think it really messed up the registry. Has this happened to anyone here and can I fix it without reformatting?

deronsizemore
03-09-2006, 04:10 PM
If it's Windows XP there is a system restore function that allows you to change the settings back to an earlier time.

Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Try that before reformatting. That should work.

Mike Empuria
03-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Good advice from Deron. To add further, when you installed Norton, XP would have automatically added a restore point so you should be able to go back to just before that install.

r2d2
03-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Hopefully that will cure the problem Norton has caused, to prevent it happening again, don't let Norton anywhere near you or your Mum's computer!

Chris
03-09-2006, 04:54 PM
First step, uninstall everything Norton (crappy software that blocks even benign internet ads).

Then go the free route.

AVG Anti Virus
Zone Alarm Firewall
and any number of free spyware blockers.

I once installed AVG on a Norton system and it found dozens of files Norton missed.

As for these system restore things, they're not a good idea.

The idea is that if your system is compromised you can back up and it'll be fixed. However in doing so you can bring dead viruses back to life.

Mike Empuria
03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
@Chris: Would you put AVG above McAfee?

Doug
03-09-2006, 05:21 PM
I agree about Norton not being any good. I told her against it but she didn't want to listen to me. You won't find it on my computer. I'll give the system restore a try and see if that works.

Doug
03-09-2006, 05:32 PM
System restore did not work. I'll keep trying some things and checking back here if anybody here has any more ideas of what could fix it.

Blue Cat Buxton
03-10-2006, 05:06 AM
It is amazing the 'love' for its product Norton is able to drum up but they have almost been able to position themselves as the only option to general consumers (at least in the UK) Even when presented with the AVG route, people still feel they can trust a product that comes in a bos, more.

It is slightly ironic that the Go Back software is billed as 'Gives you the power to undo PC problems. Protect your valuable data from system crashes or user errors.' - They should give an option of going back before go back

Doug
03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I noticed in the directions that it says sometimes windows will not work after go back is installed. It tells you how to fix this but naturally it does not work. It would have been so much easier if my mom would have listened to me and not bought norton in the first place.

cyanide
03-11-2006, 11:50 AM
It would have been so much easier if my mom would have listened to me and not bought norton in the first place.
I could say that about clients too :brickwall

Agreed, Norton = :crash:

Doug
03-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, the outlook isn't good. It looks like I'm not going to be able to fix it short of reformating which may be out of the question because she doesn't know what she did with the windows xp disk. I'm just as bad as I don't know where mine is either though. Just some advice to anybody who ever considers buying Norton Go Back... DON'T DO IT. It looks like it is time to send the computer in. I hate for my mom to have to do that because I can usually fix most of the problems with computers but this one has me stumpped.

Mullen
03-11-2006, 09:57 PM
I ditched Norton a long time ago when my subscription run out. Since then I have used free anti-virus software and haven't looked back.

Doug
03-13-2006, 12:56 AM
I reformatted. Now the screen resolution won't go above 640X480. If anyone knows how to fix this it would be helpful. I'm sure I'll find out how to eventually but I'd rather just have someone tell me if they know how to fix it.

cyanide
03-13-2006, 01:16 AM
I reformatted. Now the screen resolution won't go above 640X480. If anyone knows how to fix this it would be helpful. I'm sure I'll find out how to eventually but I'd rather just have someone tell me if they know how to fix it.
Most likely this has something to do with your video card.
Did you install the cd/driver for it? Or better yet, maybe download a more recent one from the manufacturers website

Doug
03-13-2006, 01:18 AM
I thought I had all of the drivers installed but I'll have to look it over closer tomorrow. I do have it back online so maybe I'll do like you said and check the manufacturers website too.

Mike Empuria
03-13-2006, 02:02 AM
I thought I had all of the drivers installed but I'll have to look it over closer tomorrow. I do have it back online so maybe I'll do like you said and check the manufacturers website too.
You might also want to look at the refresh rate. That sometimes make a difference.

Doug
03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
My problem is I can't change anything in the monitor tab of the settings. The refresh rate is at default and that is my only option. I should be able to go in and select a monitor but it won't let me click on the properties button in the monitor type section. I think that is my problem, it thinks 640X480 is all the monitor can handle and I have to find a way to change that.

Mike Empuria
03-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Just a thought and don't blame me if it goes wrong but you could uninstall the display adapter in System settings then re-boot your computer. It just might sort itself out.

Doug
03-13-2006, 10:16 PM
I think first I am going to go back in and re-install the drivers because some said they were already installed so I didn't bother with them, I believe the video card driver was one that said it was already installed. Unfortunately I can't try that until Wednesday because I won't be at my mom's house until then.