PDA

View Full Version : Working drunk

ket
03-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Has anyone else tried to work after a couple of beers? If so, what was it like?

I for example, was suppose to write a couple of articles today, but since I went out with my friends and beer is a good partner, I ended up not doing nothing today cause I can't work/concentrate after a couple of beers. If I do try do write something right now, I know the final result will be a complete mess.

How about you?

-edit-

add the highness effect (ganja) and re-check the whole situation. mission impossible.

michael_gersitz
03-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Never tried that. Get my work done before drinking..

Masetek
03-07-2006, 10:33 PM
It's a lost cause for me...too many other things online to distract my very short attention span!

MrGeeK
03-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I used to occasionally write code while under the influence, often the next day I'd look at the code, could never make sense of it, but it worked and worked very well.

KLB
03-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't remember ever working drunk (unlike Bode Miller).

Johnny Gulag
03-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I do not drink, so nope :)

AndyH
03-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Not drunk. I've had a couple of burbons while working and it can make me more focused. Any more than a couple and I can't be bothered.

KLB
03-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Not drunk. I've had a couple of burbons while working and it can make me more focused. Any more than a couple and I can't be bothered.

You must not hang around too many Russians.

Ben
03-07-2006, 11:07 PM
I do not drink alcohol, but coffee is the next best thing :D. Lots of that, and you start to stuff up everything you do. Your mind and body do not work in perfect harmony

Cutter
03-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Working is fine if you can get your passwords typed in properly.

Michael
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
I've tried it a few times coming in after a late night, have produced some mad looking HTML code.

Doug
03-08-2006, 01:49 AM
I don't remember ever working drunk (unlike Bode Miller).

Got a laugh out of that one.

I've never tried working drunk. On the upside though, you can't get fired from building your websites if you come to work drunk.

TheOriginalH
03-08-2006, 05:54 AM
I was just about to have a coffee. Now I must have a beer instead in the interests of scientific research :D

I have actually worked totally drunk several times; behind a bar at a new year "do", putting together point-of-sale thingies in a factory in Aus (hey, the boss kept breaking out the Woodstock and Cola) and (the only one I feel guilty about) at a Monday morning breakfast meeting for local business...well 7am is a stupid time to have a meeting after a mad weekend! Truth is, it is really not a very good idea if you have work that involves thinking (like coding), operating heavy machinery or communicating with the public :)

As a rule I like to work as straight as possible.

chromate
03-08-2006, 06:09 AM
I generally don't feel like working after a few drinks, so it doesn't happen often. Sometimes though. I never work so drunk that it poses a problem though.

Elvie
03-08-2006, 06:15 AM
After a couple of beers, work is the last thing on my mind!

imike
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
I have not try it. But I have watch TV drama before whereby there are so stress that they drink the whole bottle of alcohol, and in less than 3 minutes, the person just collapse on the floor. Maybe this is what will happen if you try that...

Vinnie
03-08-2006, 09:13 AM
I've had a beer or three while working, but I stop before I get too buzzed since quality of code is inversely proportional to BAC.

suzkaw
03-08-2006, 10:28 AM
I just stay drunk all the time that I will don't feel any effects and I have something to blame all mistakes on. :D :D :D

Steelsun
03-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I've been known to imbibe at times, beer or rum (did someone say rum, yummm!)

Depends what type of work I am doing as to whether I would be intoxicated while doing it.

I have to say, photography can be enhanced with a little lubrication (puns galore there).

I have to find my friend's theory on art photography and the effects of Tequila on it, it's good.

Steelsun
03-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Secrets to Photography:

1) Lighting
2) Steadiness
3) Creativity
4) Location
5) Luck

Tequila helps everything but the lighting:
Calms the nerves and removes inhibitions to creativity. You'll even stand on someone's head to get your shot after a few drinks. And you cannot imagine how many times I've gotten lucky after a few drinks...

TheOriginalH
03-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Rum....aw, I have to go to the pub now. This thread is bad for my health!

On a related note - anyone tried "Gentleman's Jack" yet? ...Scrummy :D

Vinnie
03-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Tequila helps everything but the lighting:

If college taught me anything it's that tequila makes lighting irrelevant :p

Steelsun
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
On a related note - anyone tried "Gentleman's Jack" yet? ...Scrummy :D

It's alot better than normal JD, but I much prefer Jim Beam / Jim Beam Black, it's much smoother. Or heck, even Crown (but I think bang for the buck, it's better to go Beam). Beam is smoother than Daniels.

Here's a recent ratings survey on Taste:

Rating Whiskey
93 Jim Beam Black®
91 Maker's Mark®
89 Wild Turkey® 101°
82 Gentleman Jack®
81 Crown Royal®
81 Jack Daniel's®

Steelsun
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
If college taught me anything it's that tequila makes lighting irrelevant :p

I'd see your point of view, but me visions a beet blurrryyyyy.

jacob
03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
at my day job, never. at home, always.

i find a great combo for me is redbull and some of BCs finest herbs which allows me to sit and code for hours on end with amazing concentration and can get quite a bit done. I come up with some of the most hairbrained ideas you can imagine in those times... but... my partner is also very amazed at how productive i am when i smoke.

what a great first post ;)

Hylo
03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
It's alot better than normal JD, but I much prefer Jim Beam / Jim Beam Black, it's much smoother. Or heck, even Crown (but I think bang for the buck, it's better to go Beam). Beam is smoother than Daniels.

Here's a recent ratings survey on Taste:

Rating Whiskey
93 Jim Beam Black®
91 Maker's Mark®
89 Wild Turkey® 101°
82 Gentleman Jack®
81 Crown Royal®
81 Jack Daniel's®

Forget about surveys, nothing beats a few glasses of Jack :)

Steelsun
03-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Try Beam, they are basically made the same way and with the same ingrediants (their distilleries are not far from each other), but JB is aged better than JD, IMHO. It's smoother.

I may be spending 2 weeks in Tennessee in May for TSCM training (that's bugsweeping and 007 snoop detecting for those of you that don't know), and if I do, I'll have a 3 day dead period where I plan to travel to Kentucky and visit both places. Just for the pictoral opportunities of course, no taste testing.

ket
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
at my day job, never. at home, always.

i find a great combo for me is redbull and some of BCs finest herbs which allows me to sit and code for hours on end with amazing concentration and can get quite a bit done. I come up with some of the most hairbrained ideas you can imagine in those times... but... my partner is also very amazed at how productive i am when i smoke.

what a great first post ;)
´
:nod: I'd only replace redbull with coca-cola.