PDA

View Full Version : Naming links in menus (navigation)

KeithMcL
11-14-2003, 05:50 PM
I think the names of the topics I use on the main site of my network could be improved and think I should really add more topics and also rename them to something more user friendly.

Which of the two sets of menus do you feel is better suited to a web developer information site?

Set 1
HTML / XHTML Javascript PHP & MySQL Perl ASP CSS FlashSet 2
Designing Your Site Coding your Site Promoting Your Site Web Hosting Advertising Sales Ecommerce Website TemplatesI've added a poll to this thread to make it easier to vote :)

Please also post your thoughts on navigation in general too.

Chris
11-14-2003, 09:00 PM
The menu's don't really have the same subjects.

I think it depends on what you're going for -- technical content?

michael_gersitz
11-14-2003, 09:26 PM
I like #2....

Shawn
11-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Take a look at Webmonkey.com, I REALLY like the way they structure their website. You could do something similar.

Mike
11-15-2003, 02:06 AM
Yeah I like that.

So really thats both menus you could use together.

KeithMcL
11-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Chris, the articles will be a mix of beginner, intermediate and advanced web development.

I dont like the nav webmonkey uses. I dislike most menus that expand/collapse. I prefer to be able to see all categories/subcategories without requiring a click of some sort.

Chris
11-15-2003, 03:19 PM
My point was that the first menu is full of technical topics, the second menu is a wider range of topics.

So really you're not asking what your menu should be, you're asking what your site should be.

chromate
11-15-2003, 03:26 PM
The second set of menu options would give you greater scope for future development.

KeithMcL
11-16-2003, 10:53 AM
I posted this question on my own forums and set 2 was the more popular choice there too. Looks like it's set 2 so :) Thanks for your replies.