PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to create PHP database driven sites online...

incka
11-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Can someone please tell me a internet site which will quickly teach me how to create database driven PHP sites. I want to get off my lazy a*** just using HTML and start using PHP & MySQL.

I want the simplest tutorial possible and that won't bother me about stuff I don't need like comments and time functions.

Mike
11-13-2003, 01:48 PM
There's a few tutorials on sitepoint.com, and I also find phpbuilder.com quite useful.

If you get stuck with anything ask me on msn and i'll try to help.

incka
11-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks Mike :)

I'll try to experiment a bit with it then I'm going to make Games2Go a PHP application so I can edit all the pages easily...

chromate
11-13-2003, 02:04 PM
The first one I ever done was on webmonkey.com, I then moved on to PHPBuilder.

MarkB
11-13-2003, 03:27 PM
I created a (very simple) template engine once, based on vBulletin's (but nowhere near as sophisticated). I since lost it :'( But I'm rewriting it soon... when I'm done, I'll post it somewhere.

Mike
11-14-2003, 09:23 AM
I've heard the term template engine used before, but not quite sure what it means. Is it just a form where you enter the code and it produces the design around the content?

Thanks,
Mike

chromate
11-14-2003, 11:15 AM
The idea is that the content is seperated form the code. So a designer could design a template and the programmer could just worry about the code.

In reality it doesn't quite work like that, as it's often just as easy for a designer to learn basic PHP.

Simple template system would be something like having a class called Page with functions: setHeader($content), setFooter($content), setContent($content) and a drawPage() function to render the page.

I find that it's normally not worth the effort and plain includes work just as well. Can be useful in a more complex situation though.

Mike
11-14-2003, 11:40 AM
They do sound a lot of work...thanks chromate:)

michael_gersitz
11-14-2003, 04:44 PM
I am just starting to learn php...

Some a basic thing I learned that helped me learn quicker.....

name all your pages with a .php extension.... (you just can change all of your .html pages to .php)

Then expirement using the echo command and many more...

KeithMcL
11-14-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm still learning PHP myself. I've purchased two books and downloaded one ebook so far. I believe the php.net manual itself can be of serious help.

If you want to learn how to build a no-frills db driven website then Kevin Yanks book should do the job. www.sitepoint.com/books/

Chances are you'll want to learn more once you get started so another book might be a better buy.

Mike
11-15-2003, 01:59 AM
The PHP book reviewed here will be pretty good. I've got the other made by wrox, and have no complaints.

MarkB
11-15-2003, 06:10 AM
I find template engines are much better than having template files.

You can call in various bits and pieces (say, login forms) to appear whereever you want. You can even use them as variables (how a user's name appears, user info, whatever), and call them where ever you wish them to appear on the page.

And the good thing is, you can update it all without having to edit files and re-upload etc etc.

chromate
11-15-2003, 07:53 AM
The first PHP book I bought was, "PHP fast & easy web development" Very easy to follow. Great starting point.

michael_gersitz
11-15-2003, 09:25 AM
The php book I got "PhP in easy Steps" it only cost $9.99 from B&N and is pretty good!

incka
11-16-2003, 01:56 PM
I created my first PHP/MySQL thing today...

http://www.games2go.co.uk/jokestest.php

Now all I need to learn is how to make it so it doesn't but all the data on one page, but only the one the user requested... I'm sure Mike can help me over MSN...

Mike
01-23-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm writing an article on how to make a small dynamic site.

If Chris doesn't want it for here, I'll give it you incka.