PDA

View Full Version : URL in page title

zomp
03-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Which is better?
<title>keywords</title>or
<title>keywords - website.com</title>and why...

KLB
03-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I use my domain name in the title of my site not so much for SEO purposes but for human memorization and branding. EnvironmentalChemistry.com is very easy to remember and one doesn't need to remember both a title and the URL.

Jim: "Hey Joe I found this really cool environmental site."
Joe: "Really what is it called?"
Jim: "EnvironmentalChemistry.com"
See how easy it is.

Now compare that to this:

Jim: "Hey Joe I found this really cool chemsitry site."
Joe: "Really what is it called?"
Jim: "Acme Chemistry Resources."
Joe: "Okay... Where is it?"
Jim: "Umm .... Oh ya, ... crap I forgot".

dc dalton
03-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I'll have to agree with Ken here. Although putting your url into the title dilutes your kewords it does help those who can't remember your url.

Masetek
03-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Which is better?
<title>keywords</title>or
<title>keywords</title> - website.comand why...

Well what you've done there is essentially the same thing, because you didn't put website.com in your title tags. For the reasons mentioned by DC and Ken, I always use this format:

Page desc - page category (if any) - site.com

zomp
03-04-2006, 05:37 PM
My mistake, i edited the orginal post.

Does having your url displayed in every pages title have any effect on search engines?

Bleys
03-06-2006, 05:16 AM
I always use this format:

Page desc - page category (if any) - site.com

I would put your page title (i.e., 'site.com') first, for the human reasons Ken mentioned: when people bookmark your site it will show up in their bookmarks under the title, rather than a description (which will likely be cut off and end up looking like random words to someone later). Sure they can edit the title of their bookmark, but why even make it so they have to? ;)

Mike Empuria
03-06-2006, 05:55 AM
I usually put <title>Site Name Page Name</title> so I had <title>Empuriabrava Online Articles</title>. Empuriabrava was a keyword and I realised (for this site) that the Online part wasn't really needed so I dropped it. I think that the site name should be there like Josh wrote so that it is visible in bookmarks.

KLB
03-06-2006, 07:04 AM
I would put your page title (i.e., 'site.com') first, for the human reasons Ken mentioned: when people bookmark your site it will show up in their bookmarks under the title, rather than a description (which will likely be cut off and end up looking like random words to someone later). Sure they can edit the title of their bookmark, but why even make it so they have to? ;)

I'm actually torn about putting the domain name first or last in the title tags. From a user's bookmark perspective it may be better to put the domain name first but from an SEO and a readability perspective in SERPs it may be better to put the domain name second. On my main page I put the domain name first (e.g. "EnvironmentalChemistry.com: Environmental, Chemistry & Hazardous Materials Information & Resources") but on my secondary pages I place the domain name second (e.g. "Effects of Air Pollution on your health (EnvironmentalChemistry.com)").

Vinnie
03-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm actually torn about putting the domain name first or last in the title tags. From a user's bookmark perspective it may be better to put the domain name first but from an SEO and a readability perspective in SERPs it may be better to put the domain name second. .
Domain first may not be a good thing for bookmarking either. Think of when you have 10+ tabs open in Firefox. Your browser would look like this:

Environmenta... | Environmenta... | Environmenta... | Yahoo!

Same thing with bookmarks: if the title is too long you'll be cut off and only the domain will show.

KLB
03-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Vinnie I agree with you about domain first not always looking good in bookmarks or tabs as well.

I guess this why the domain leads in my titles only on the main "intro" type pages.

beley
03-08-2006, 05:56 AM
I actually prefer the SITE name or URL to be first in the title tag (at least on pages I visit). I usually edit everything else out of my bookmarks anyway, though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

On several of my sites I include the domain name at the end; it just seems logical to put it there. For instance, "Large Dress Shoess at 2 Big Feet .com" Yes, I actually add spaces to the domain name for the key words, bu tthe effect is the same, I think. People remember it, and when they type it they leave out the spaces (and we get the SEO benefits)

Bleys
03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Ken: That makes sense... since those are article titles you use on your interior pages. That's different than a list of keywords. :)

Michael
03-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I tend to use:

Sitename - keyword1, keyword2, keyword3, keyword4

Chris
03-09-2006, 06:14 AM
I tend to do this:

<article title> - <site title>

The reasons are many.

1. The last thing you want is part of your article title truncated at the end.

2. When people are viewing SERPs and find an article of yours, they're far more interested in the article's title than in the name of your site.

3. IF there is a bonus for words appearing first then the keywords in an articles title need to be first as they are more important than the keyword in your site name.

KLB
03-09-2006, 06:51 AM
I tend to do this:

<article title> - <site title>

The reasons are many.

1. The last thing you want is part of your article title truncated at the end.

2. When people are viewing SERPs and find an article of yours, they're far more interested in the article's title than in the name of your site.

3. IF there is a bonus for words appearing first then the keywords in an articles title need to be first as they are more important than the keyword in your site name.

My thoughts exactly.