PDA

View Full Version : Hooray

Jon
03-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Hey everyone, just joined up, figured I'd introduce myself to everyone. My name is Jon, on SP people know me as Mook-Jon, and I am now a blogging author for this site as Mook. Sorry for all of the names, but it makes sense in my head, so I'm stickin to it!

I hope to make lots of new friends on here and learn and continue to give out advice for free to those who need it.

moonshield
03-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Welcome to WSP Jon. I enjoyed reading your posts on Sitepoint. They were quite informative.

KLB
03-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Jon,

I might have given you a hard time with your cloaking thread at SP, but I REALLY look foward to reading what you write. I'm so glad I'll get to see your writings here, even when I disagree. :) :cool:

Tijmen
03-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Welcome Jon. Like the 2 above already mentioned, at SP you always wrote interesting stuff and i'm looking forward to read more :)

stymiee
03-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Your posts at SP certainly get a lot of attention. I think they will here as well. :)

BGray
03-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Good to see you here Jon. Really enjoyed your recent posts over at SP!

Michael
03-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the forum Jon!

Ben
03-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Welcome Jon, great to have you on board. I am one of those people who searched through your old threads to see if there was anything good there

Jon
03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kudos more than you know!

KLB - No worries about the cloaking bit, Chris actually asked me not to discuss it, so I'll stay away from it.

Any topic ideas for my next blog post?

KLB
03-04-2006, 09:34 PM
KLB - No worries about the cloaking bit, Chris actually asked me not to discuss it, so I'll stay away from it.

Damn ;) I was courious what you had to say for part two of your SPF series. I'd never use such tactics but I'm courious what you had to say.

Any topic ideas for my next blog post?
I have a hard enough time creating ideas for myself to write about. :confused:

Jon
03-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Damn ;) I was courious what you had to say for part two of your SPF series. I'd never use such tactics but I'm courious what you had to say.

I have a hard enough time creating ideas for myself to write about. :confused:

Well, I want to blog specifically about questions webmasters have that would help everyone out, so KLB, since you're on, you get first dibs.

KLB
03-04-2006, 09:58 PM
What are your background and strengths? What subject matters do you know best?

Jon
03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
What are your background and strengths? What subject matters do you know best?

I was referring to questions about generating revenue, affiliate programs, etc. Not personal info ;)

Ben
03-04-2006, 10:39 PM
You have finally gotten your avatar back, ah I feel at home

KLB
03-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I was referring to questions about generating revenue, affiliate programs, etc. Not personal info ;)

I was just trying to get an idea of what topics to suggest based on what your primary areas of interest are. But you have answered that question.

One thought that comes to mind is discussing what ad positions work best on webpages and how best to intergrate ads into content websites. This would go along with the ad-blocking article I'm working on very nicely.

dc dalton
03-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah I know that AV!

Looking forward to reading your stuff.

Bleys
03-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Ditto. Your first post got me hooked. $100k in one month from CJ?! :eek: Go on... :D

Ben
03-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Ditto. Your first post got me hooked. $100k in one month from CJ?! Go on...
Please, it was only $80k

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2167/joncj27xd.jpg

He is lyeing when he says he made $100k a month ;)...................................:D

Jon
03-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Ditto. Your first post got me hooked. $100k in one month from CJ?! :eek: Go on... :D

I think the part that most people are quick to overlook is that I didn't just whip up a site, and poof later that month $100k+ fell into my pocket. It took me a long time to get to my current status. I was involved in the financial website game for about 8 months before I really started hitting it big, and before that, it was YEARS of hard work and a lot of trial and error (lots of failures, expensive ones too). I'm not a magician, and I certainly don't have the quick fix that everyone thinks I'm hiding on "how to strike it rich in 3 easy steps". If you want that quick fix, there are a billion ebooks out there with those sorta promises. You won't find that from me though..

I'm going to blog about some market research steps to take before jumping into any niche/industry.

paul
03-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Another point people overlook is that you didn't know in advance that what you were doing would work. In retrospect, it is easy to think he worked 8 months for success. The reality is you worked 7.9 months without knowing what you were doing was going to be any different than previous projects in which you invested months/years without success.

It's REAL hard to continue to believe in ultimate success in the midst of failure. It's even harder for a spouse to continue being supportive.

Cutter
03-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Welcome Jon, great to have you on board. I am one of those people who searched through your old threads to see if there was anything good there

Yeah, I fall into that catagory too, and there is a lot of good stuff :D

Its really great to have you here Jon, I'm looking forward to more of your blog posts and other insight.

Erin
03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Wow, another great draw for this site. Thanks for joining, Jon. I really look forward to your added expertise. I also really like your willingness to share with others. :)

ses5909
03-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Glad you are here Jon!