PDA

View Full Version : A Logo Review

deronsizemore
03-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Well I had this same logo reviewed a while back and was given good responses. The more I kept looking at it I just didn't like the font that was used. I wanted to go with a softer font and changed just a few subtle things.

The original logo can be found at www.kentuckygolfing.com

The three new variations are below:

http://www.deronsizemore.com/kentuckygolfing.gif

http://www.deronsizemore.com/kentuckygolfing2.gif

http://www.deronsizemore.com/kentuckygolfing3.gif

Which one do you think has the most potential?

Thanks

Fender963
03-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Not like my opinion is in anyway professional at all, but I prefer the second one.

Cutter
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
number one, second one is good too but I like how you use the state in the first

Sean
03-02-2006, 01:35 AM
My favorite is the 1st of the variations. I like the new font much more than the old one too... I might even have to go out and find it for my own use.

Mullen
03-02-2006, 01:58 AM
I like the simplicity of the second and third logos. If I had to choose out of them I would most likely pick #3.

Blue Cat Buxton
03-02-2006, 02:26 AM
For what it's worth, number 2. I like the way the flag is in the dot, clever stuff and a nice font

Egor
03-02-2006, 05:00 AM
I like where your second/third idea is heading, but the current flag symbol is weak (and will only get weaker when scaled down). I suggest you attempt to bring the flag-post closer (where it nears the top end), then make the actual flag about 3-4 times bigger. This will balance the whole logomark out better and give you room to throw in a little more detail - making it more unique.

The kerning could also do with a bit of adjustment... but that's quick business. ;)

jelena
03-02-2006, 05:20 AM
I actually prefer first one. The font is much much better then on original logo, but I like the state. If you decide to go with second or third one, I'd consider what just Egor said - the flag could be bigger.

Cheers,
Jelena

ses5909
03-02-2006, 05:36 AM
I like the first one as well. I like the use of the state in the logo. Plus, from my experience Kentuckians ar proud of their state similar in the way Texans are.

Vinnie
03-02-2006, 07:44 AM
number one, second one is good too but I like how you use the state in the first
Agreed. The second one looks nicer to me but the first one is "branded" better, if that makes any sense.

KLB
03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
I think I like the original logo best, but it is a close call with the first variant. I think leaving the state in the logo is a really good idea.

Mike
03-02-2006, 09:06 AM
I prefer the first one as well; using the state is something original. IMO, the ones with the flag don't have as much meaning...

deronsizemore
03-02-2006, 10:21 AM
My favorite is the 1st of the variations. I like the new font much more than the old one too... I might even have to go out and find it for my own use.

The font is Myrad Pro. It's a nice font. I'm starting to use it more and more seems like these days.

deronsizemore
03-02-2006, 10:23 AM
I appreciate all of the comments I've got so far! It definitely doesn't make my decision any easier as I've got lots of votes for the first revision and the second! I guess I can't complain, it's hard enough to get one of something that people like, let alone two, right?

Thanks again! If anyone has anymore comments I'm all eyes, bring 'em!

deronsizemore
03-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I like where your second/third idea is heading, but the current flag symbol is weak (and will only get weaker when scaled down). I suggest you attempt to bring the flag-post closer (where it nears the top end), then make the actual flag about 3-4 times bigger. This will balance the whole logomark out better and give you room to throw in a little more detail - making it more unique.

The kerning could also do with a bit of adjustment... but that's quick business. ;)

Egor. PM sent to you. (If you've not already noticed it) :)

mrsmiley
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
The second and third logos do not tie your target demographic (Kentucky). I like first one because it is associated with a place as well as the sport.

dc dalton
03-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I like the first one too (with the state outline) ... really makes them know its for Kentucky.

Mr.M
03-03-2006, 01:00 AM
The second is my fave. Nice and simple.

Excite
03-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Your kerning is off. There is double the perceived space between the letters u and c (Kentucky) as there is in the rest of the logo.

Notice how tight the spacing is between fy and ky? Keep your spacing consistent throughout all the letters. It may mean you have to do the kerning "by hand" but it will make a world of difference at the end. Your client is happier, and you become the hero.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/k/kerning.html

deronsizemore
03-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Your kerning is off. There is double the perceived space between the letters u and c (Kentucky) as there is in the rest of the logo.

Notice how tight the spacing is between fy and ky? Keep your spacing consistent throughout all the letters. It may mean you have to do the kerning "by hand" but it will make a world of difference at the end. Your client is happier, and you become the hero.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/k/kerning.html

Hey, thanks for replying. As Egor stated also, the kerning was off. Until he said something I wasn't real sure what kearning even was. I went in and selected the text and tried to adjust the kerning on the words "KentuckyGolfing" and it only gives me three options for the kearning: Auto, Optical, 0. Or if I double click in between two letters...say in this case the U and C in Kentucky and then adjust the kearning to -5 since those two letters are the ones spaced out apart, it doesn't move those two closer together...yet it moves the "Y" in kentucky, the "L, N, G" in golfing, and the "O" in com to the left (closer together).

Any ideas here as to what I'm doing wrong? I'm using Illustrator.

Also, if you notice it seems like the bottom of the state of Kentucky outline is somewhat blurry. Does it seem that way to you as well?

Excite
03-04-2006, 03:11 PM
You may need to break your letters apart into individual elements and then move them around as needed. When your done doing that then select all the letters and choose the "group" option in illustrator to bring all of the individual elements back together as one piece.

You have a good look going here, I would be proud of it.

deronsizemore
03-04-2006, 04:10 PM
You may need to break your letters apart into individual elements and then move them around as needed. When your done doing that then select all the letters and choose the "group" option in illustrator to bring all of the individual elements back together as one piece.

You have a good look going here, I would be proud of it.

Thanks for the compliments! :) It's been a work in progress a you can see from the current one that is up at www.kentuckygolfing.com. I've played with several different designs but I've finally got a couple I like with colors and everything. I think I've probably had 50 different shades of green and blue in there. I will play around with what you said about the kearning and see what happens. I never thought about going at it one letter at a time and then just grouping them.

Do you have any idea what might be going on with the bottom area of the state of Kentcky in the first revision logo? Is it just me or does it look somewhat blurry? Maybe it's me.

masm50
03-04-2006, 04:35 PM
For what it's worth - I actually prefer your original design on the site (but otherwise number 1) ;)

Tim

Excite
03-04-2006, 06:50 PM
"Do you have any idea what might be going on with the bottom area of the state of Kentcky in the first revision logo? Is it just me or does it look somewhat blurry? Maybe it's me."

I don't see it. It could just be the way the gif is exported. Try it with a white mask and see if that changes things ... but I don't see what you see.

deronsizemore
03-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Hmm...okay. figured it might just be me in the first place. Thanks!