PDA

View Full Version : Adsense CPM

Westech
03-01-2006, 03:02 PM
I've been hearing about the CPM ads that Adsense has started offering. Within the last few days, I've been seeing Adsense ads on one of my sites with one big, oversized text ad (similar to the LookQuick ads that are running at the top of this site currently).

From what I've read, these indicate that they're CPM ads. Is there any way to tell for sure in the Adsense reporting interface and get the CPM amount or other stats on these? As far as I can tell my reporting area looks just like it always has for the PPC ads.

KLB
03-01-2006, 03:43 PM
You will not notice a difference in your reports between CPM AdSense ads and CPC AdSense ads. The only way you can tell if you have CPM ads is if you happen to have a lot of channels and one of them is showing revenue with no clicks.

Chris
03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Yup... revenue with no clicks is the only way to know for sure.. but it is known that most graphical ads & the big text ones are CPM.

Westech
03-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Interesting. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that channel. Thanks!

john190
03-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Oh,

I seem to have alot of them huge text font sized ads on one of my sites. Infact the ads make my site look a little unprofessional due to the size of them.

I didn't know they were the CPM ads. Sometimes I see more of them than actual normal ads on this site.

I guess lots of CPM advertisers like it. On other sites I don't hardly see any of them.

Yup... revenue with no clicks is the only way to know for sure.. but it is known that most graphical ads & the big text ones are CPM.

MrGeeK
03-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Check out the individual ad unit report in the advanced reports section of your account. You will see a tick box for "show data for targeting type".

The ones listed as "Site" are CPM ads.

john190
03-03-2006, 06:14 AM
Well, Thanks for that. I never new about that option.

I now now that I am earning quite a good CPM revenue from my site.

Nice one!!!

Check out the individual ad unit report in the advanced reports section of your account. You will see a tick box for "show data for targeting type".

MrGeeK
03-03-2006, 06:17 AM
They only released it in the last couple of days, I just happened to notice it and then went and read up on what it meant at the official adsense blog.

john190
03-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Whoops!!

I have checked my stats in more detail for a whole month and figures show that I am earning a good rate for CPM ads, but it is no where near what I have been earning for the CPC ads.

I have found that I am getting less than half the amount of clickthrus to what I would be getting if it was showing CPC ads that are nice and small and don't make my site look awrful plus my earnings for the CPC ads compared to the CPM ads will be as high as 3 - 5 times the amount.

This is a large increase.

Is there any way of turning of CPM ads as now I know why my earnings had dropped over the last few months.

I am getting about 50% of cpc ads and 50% of cpm ads showing on my site. I would prefer to just have 100% cpc ads so that I will earn more from my traffic and advertisers.

It seems that the advertisers are advertising on my site using CPM as they have most probably tried it to just test it and then discovered that advertising on my site this way is a way of getting traffic from mine more cheaply.

john190
03-03-2006, 06:55 AM
I guess that at least by having quite a few cpm ads showing up on my site that I know that the advertisers like my site and wish to directly advertise on it.

Since my site has been up I have directly received over 50 or so advertisers emailing me for advertising rates and things and I have just told them that I do not offer any paid advertising at the moment apart from Adsense.

So I guess that if I was to offer my own direct advertising that I would get a small but good advertiser base for this site.

Actually, it may be something that I should consider as if I use my own tracking software and things then I will have 100% of the advertisers money and not just a cut. Or maybe I could use something like Adbrite where I would then earn a much higher percentage of the earnings.

Chris
03-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Its nice getting CPM ads on a forum too (like here) because traditional forums have low CTRs.

Chris
03-03-2006, 07:23 AM

Thats a good way of figuring out the CPM they're paying too. Its higher than I thought.

This site is certainly getting a much higher rate than any of my others though.

john190
03-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I have 27 sites online and there is only 2 of them that are receiving CPM's.

One of them is getting about 50% cpm's and 50% cpc's. The earnings per cpm is well above average for an ad, but I am still earning near 4 - 5 times lower amounts than cpc's.

I then have another site and the cpm's that I am earning is well below the average. I am getting around an average that the 3rd tier cpm sites offer.

But anyway, at least I have advertisers wanting to directly promote on my site, which looks promising.