PDA

View Full Version : Why is wordpress so slow?

Chris
03-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Anyone know why, when posting a new blog to wordpress, it is so slow? It takes like a minute to process. Often the page loads but back in the admin backend you're still saving.

I've noticed this both with my garden blog, and with SitePoint's blog, which is WP based.

fredarn
03-01-2006, 12:27 PM
You meen when you post an article?
It is like that for me to, it is just to press "Show site" up in the left.
the article will be publisher within 3 sec after you press the publish button :) (even if the browser is loading)

Chris
03-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Ya thats what I mean, it certainly is weird.

Cutter
03-01-2006, 01:12 PM
yeah, same here. I just open the show site in a new tab, see its there and then do something else. A little off topic, but I haven't been impressed by the new Wordpress. The older version's interface ran much more smoothly for me.

Johnny Gulag
03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes I too have noticed this issue and it is a bit annoying to say the least.

Vinnie
03-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Keep in mind that Wordpress is also sending out pings to remote blogging services like pingomatic and technorati, not just saving your post in the database. Slowdowns there will make the whole thing feel sluggish.

ses5909
03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Keep in mind that Wordpress is also sending out pings to remote blogging services like pingomatic and technorati, not just saving your post in the database. Slowdowns there will make the whole thing feel sluggish.
I believe there is a setting where you can turn this off.

Vinnie
03-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah but turning off pings kills backlinks, so saying as much on this forum is like telling someone to drink poison to stop a headache ;)

Johnny Gulag
03-01-2006, 07:04 PM

Yes it is under Options>Discussion, and as Vinnie pointed out, it even says (slows down posting). ;) I guess I never looked at it that closely before. Though, I would not turn mine off :)

Discussion Options
Usual settings for an article:
(These settings may be overridden for individual articles.)

* Attempt to notify any Weblogs linked to from the article (slows down posting.)
* Allow link notifications from other Weblogs (pingbacks and trackbacks.)
* Allow people to post comments on the article

tonyjk3
03-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Or you can just remove the URL to Pingomatic. That speeds it up quite a bit and I still ping Technorati.