PDA

View Full Version : Who does your programming?

deronsizemore
02-28-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm wondering who you all get to do your programming and backend of things for your site?

I'm not a programmer at all...and honestly could care less if I ever learn any programming. (although I do plan to expand my small PHP skills some day)

I've got a few sites in the pipeline where I'm looking for a custom solution of sorts. If anyone of you can recommend a good, honest programmer let me know please. Or if you are a programmer and want to chat I've got MSN Messenger...PM me for details on that please.

Thanks,
Deron

deronsizemore
02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Just building on my first post...I came across these two sites.

1. www.elance.com
2. www.guru.com

Has anyone used them before to find a programmer?

The New Guy
03-01-2006, 06:32 AM
I know some people use rent a coder.

MarkB
03-01-2006, 06:43 AM
I do my own coding and have produced a number of custom CMSs (see www.cyndilauper.com for an example of one of my basic systems).

Masetek
03-01-2006, 06:54 AM
I do my own coding and have produced a number of custom CMSs (see www.cyndilauper.com for an example of one of my basic systems).

Me too :)

ses5909
03-01-2006, 06:59 AM
I do my own coding. Its the design I have to usually outsource depending on the difficulty level. I do just fine when its just a ultile of colors and perhaps a picture in the header, but anything fancy and there is no way i'll attempt it.

Chris
03-01-2006, 07:21 AM
I used to do it all myself, nowadays I probably outsource 70% of it. I just don't have the time, or rather prefer to spend the time working on management issues.

For design, I definitely outsource that. I used to be pretty good at it, but my skills stayed the same and everyone else's improved.

Shawn
03-01-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a designated guy in Texas that does my programming. I don't need programming done constantly, but he gets a new project of mine about once a week.

moonshield
03-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Most of my sites are pretty basic, but when programming needs to be done, I do it myself. I reuse most of my code too so I don't have to do too much work.

jelena
03-01-2006, 09:14 AM
I used to do all programming by myself, but these days, programmers that work for my team are doing most of it. My job is to check if they are doing it good. :)

I used elance but to find projects to work on, not to hire someone. But I can say that there are lots of cheap and non-experienced programmers, so be carefull when you choose. Check their feedbacks, references, their selling activity and history.

Westech
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
I'd love it if I could find a company or individual that could handle both the design and programming side of building sites. Any time I've tried to outsource the creation of a site I end up having to go through 2 separate people to get it right: a designer and a programmer. It's a real pain to coordinate the two so that a good looking, usable site comes out in the end.

Sure, there are people out there who do both, but I've found that most of them are either great at design and mediocre at coding, or vice-versa. :(

I'd also appreciate any recommendations anyone can give for an all-in-one shop.

MarkB
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Westech - I work with a designer (not the one who did the Cyndi Lauper site, I hasten to add) on a continuing basis, so feel free to drop me a line if you need something done.

</shameless self promoting>

Blue Cat Buxton
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Which are more expensive, the designers or the programmers?

MarkB
03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Designers - they drink latte's, while programmers drink filtered :P

Kate
03-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Program myself. Need to outsource the design though. Me and photoshop don't get along very well.

ses5909
03-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I'd love it if I could find a company or individual that could handle both the design and programming side of building sites. Any time I've tried to outsource the creation of a site I end up having to go through 2 separate people to get it right: a designer and a programmer. It's a real pain to coordinate the two so that a good looking, usable site comes out in the end.

Sure, there are people out there who do both, but I've found that most of them are either great at design and mediocre at coding, or vice-versa. :(

I'd also appreciate any recommendations anyone can give for an all-in-one shop.

I thought most shops do it all; at least in the sense that they manage it all. When I'm hired to do a site, i can commit to both the design and the code because I have a couple of designers that I contract out to. I manage everything and the client just goes through me or my partner. The client only has to deal with one person and everything else we manage.

You should never run into a shop that tells you they can't do both.Most web development companies should offer a complete solution. Not just a scripted website.

Westech
03-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Maybe I just haven't found the right shops yet. I'll definitely consider contacting both you and Mark about my next project.

What I want are sites with layouts that rival the designs winning the top prizes in the sitepoint contest forums, and backends that are rock-solid, secure, and scale efficiently to high traffic levels. So far, I've found plenty of shops that will offer to handle both the design and the coding, but they always turn out to be good at one and not so good at the other.

ses5909
03-01-2006, 03:32 PM
So far, I've found plenty of shops that will offer to handle both the design and the coding, but they always turn out to be good at one and not so good at the other.

That's too bad. They obviously haven't found the right people.

agua
03-01-2006, 04:53 PM
I do what ever (php only) programming I can, which is normally very basic... but if its too advanced - then I pass it on to 2 programmers who I have worked with before (always looking for more options, feel free to contact me).

I find its best to design the site first, maybe even code it and then pass this on the the programmer. Sometimes there are a few areas of a template which need a re-hash - not much though.

This works well for me.

Josh_
03-01-2006, 05:43 PM
So far, I've been able to do my own. I've done some pretty in depth CMS's. But I have a feeling I'll have to hire a designer for my next website. i'm just not artistically gifted.

charmedlover
03-01-2006, 09:40 PM
I've been programming since I was 10, so overall I still do it. :p Of course back in the old days I used C++, but I'm quite a fan of PHP at the moment.

KLB
03-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I do all of my own coding, but given how slow my coder is I sometimes think I need to fire myself. ;)

Vinnie
03-02-2006, 09:25 AM
I do my own programming work since that's my day job. I've outsourced graphics and such but never code, though I wouldn't hesitate to if the need arose.

dc dalton
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah I'm with Vinnie here. I have tried to outsource my coding and it has always been a nightmare!

Until I find someone I know can do the work and I can trust I'll keep doing it. Besides that I can usually code it faster than I can explain it to someone else!

I take on design work too but I sub all that out. It takes me too long to do it (and do it well)

I do though sub all my Flash work out because plain and simple I despise Flash. That application just makes me want to scream. Luckily I found a great person for this.

chromate
03-03-2006, 04:03 AM
I design and code myself.

I'm reluctant to hire a coder because it means I'll have to learn how the code works to add / modify something, and that's not always easy unless you have someone good doing the code. At least if it's your own code you can adjust it how you like without much hassle (normally ;))

As far as the design goes, I like quite minimalist looks, so it's not too much of a problem to do myself. Having said that, for more complex designs, intricate interfaces, illustrative icons, or if I need something really special, then it's definitely worth outsourcing.

platinum
03-03-2006, 04:13 AM
I design and code, but I feel a bit taken advantage of at my last two jobs, as I'm doing twice the work for the same pay. :p (and they don't have to hire both a designer and coder!).

But I also freelance around a bit when time permits. :)

Nikkular
03-03-2006, 11:11 AM
I design and code, although my coding can't go much further then very basic php. I have as very good friend whos a programmer to help me take care of my site. he coded a bunch of databases for me, and we work pretty well together to keep design and code together, then again, thats mainly because we talk non-stop about it while working on it.

I'm not very experienced but I say that if you hire a programmer, try to keep in contact with them during the process so you get exactly what you want.

AbsoluteKC
03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
So far i have managed to design and code my first online game site myself...of course with the help of you guys over at SP last time :)

It is better to do it yourself if you have the time thou..

MaxS
03-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I do some of my own programming. Any hardcore work I contract out.

Young Twig
03-05-2006, 08:03 AM
I haven't had to outsource anything yet. I do design and code, but I feel I am a little lacking (i.e. I suck) in template design.

Tijmen
03-05-2006, 08:41 AM
So far i have always done everything myself. I'm sure a professional coder would get it done a lot quicker and efficient then i can, but i enjoy doing it.