PDA

View Full Version : .info domains ? how do u feel about them ?

s2kinteg916
11-12-2003, 03:25 PM

Kyle
11-12-2003, 03:28 PM
As good as the rest.
It's all about what the goal of your site is. If you want customer confidence, you should go with a .com. I would say, use .info for sites that offer information, like reference sites.

If the majority of your traffic is coming from search engines, domain extension hardly matters.

All depends on the site.

Westech
11-12-2003, 03:34 PM
I agree. If you'll be promoting the site in such a way that customers will need to type it into the address bar themselves, then try to stick with .com to avoid confusion. For anything else (links and search engines) the "other" extensions are great.

You can still pick up a few decent one word domains in the "other" TLD's.

Chris
11-12-2003, 04:36 PM
The only problem with .info domains is that some verification scripts (think javascript email verification) have a fit when the TLD exceeds 3 characters.

lo0ol
11-12-2003, 05:41 PM
I think people tend to put more faith into .com. That's the domain to have if you want a big, classy site, apparently. If you don't have a .com, it won't hurt you in the search engines or other links, but the human factor might be a bit of a problem.

incka
11-12-2003, 11:56 PM
.com is best, but if you have a pure reference site, lets say sabout salt, www.salt.com is not a good as www.salt.info as salt.com will be more commercial and people looking for refrence on salt will prefer the looks of salt.info when they search google...

ozgression
11-13-2003, 12:30 AM
I disagree, 99% of people don't even know .info exists.

Don't always assume internet users are as savvy as you may be.

I would only ever start a site with a .com or maybe a country specific domain ie. .com.au or .co.uk depending on it's market market.

The other extensions are poor...
________
vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

chromate
11-13-2003, 02:51 AM
I disagree again :)

Just because people imagine pretty much everything is a .com it doesn't mean to say that they are not open to suggestion. If they go to a good site, then they'll like it in spite of what the domain is. I would imagine most people that are not that web experienced would write the name of the site down anyway, or use the search engine to find the site again. Either way the .info domain doesn't matter.

With all the new .this's and .thats coming into existence, I think people are getting used to the idea that not everything's a .com anyway.

Chris
11-13-2003, 06:02 AM
The official Lord of the Rings site is a .net

Mike
11-13-2003, 09:29 AM
In my opinion .com's & .net's are the best. Perhaps if your doing a site that would be useful to your country then that country extension would be good as well.

chromate
11-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Well, .com .net and .org are the three biggies. But I really don't think it makes an awful lot of difference these days.

ozgression
11-13-2003, 06:15 PM
It does if you try to brand your site, however, if you just rely on search engine traffic, the extension doesn't matter (i'll give you that).
________
vapor tower (http://www.vaporshop.com/vapor-tower-vaporizer.html)

N_Jay
11-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by chromate
Well, .com .net and .org are the three biggies. But I really don't think it makes an awful lot of difference these days.

Don't forget .GOV and .EDU

Chris
11-14-2003, 08:58 AM
.edu and .gov aren't available to the general public though.

incka
12-02-2003, 12:25 AM
I'm planning to buy a .info to start a new site (which will require the use of that amazon xml program one of you lot made) as soon as I've finnished games2go's php (hopefully tonight) and my music video site (who knows...)

pulsetoday
06-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I have a site VisitJaipur.com , I registered a domain VisitJaipur.info for type-in traffic that may come in as bonus. Do I have reasons to feel good about it ? Well actually that I will come to know when i launch my site officially. :)

chromate
06-13-2004, 11:27 AM
There probably wasn't much need to reg the .info if you already have the .com version. But it's by no means a bad thing. Make sure you only promote the site online using the .com version though.

Mike
06-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Yea, I doubt that much type in traffic will come through .info.

jonnyhilfiger
06-13-2004, 04:32 PM
I registered online-business.info a while back. Havn't done anything with it yet but think it's a very good name. Basically does what it says on the tin (eventually)

John

pulsetoday
06-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Make sure you only promote the site online using the .com version though.

Thanks for the tip Point Noted.