PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Maine

KLB
02-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi Chris,

With all that is going on over at that other place, I thought I'd better join your forum if I were to continue to benefit from all of your wisdom. ;)

Maybe there is a silver lining to dark clouds. Many of us will be forced to expand our horizens beyond our comfortable surroundings.

The New Guy
02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Welcome. This place is just as comfortable as SP. Great people around these parts.

Chris
02-28-2006, 07:36 PM
More so I think.

I don't want to knock the forums, I like Sitepoint's forums (obviously -- or I wouldn't have posted there 12,500 times). But over the past year especially its gotten very repetitive. You see most of the same posts over and over again, and instead of real discussions its day in and day out of explaining why Adsense rejected you or why the toolbar shows 0 PR for your site.

The problems are exacerbated by their reluctance to add more subforums... something I've campaigned for for years. In fact I had proposed one change they accepted as part of my Kit, basically adding subforums for the major ad networks. I wonder if they'll still go through with it.

In general I think the experience level of people here is higher, so you don't get as much of that. Its easier to find the good topics, and even then there will only be a handful of active topics per day).

The New Guy
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
In general I think the experience level of people here is higher, so you don't get as much of that. Its easier to find the good topics, and even then there will only be a handful of active topics per day).

That and I think there are alot of lurkers out there such as myself, who would like to contribute more and make this community grow.

KLB
02-28-2006, 07:40 PM
I've noticed many of the same things at SP over the past six months. I've also notice a serious brain drain of the best contributors in recent months (Mantis, et al.). You know how I like a good meaty discussion and I look forward to some good discussions here.

Shawn
02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Well, I'll say the obvious -- thanks for growing Website Publisher, "General Manager."

Lets spruce this place up, Chris. Want some help, let me know. I'd love to see this place flourish. SitePoint has become old, as people keep saying -- mostly Indians looking for work or kids asking how to make money off of an arcade site.

Shawn
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Ken,

I have family in Millinocket, know where that is? About an hour from Bangor.

I drove up there from South Carolina and Maine was the longest state. It took me almost 3 hours to make it from the southern border of Maine to Millinocket. Rough.

KLB
02-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes I know where Millinocket is. You ought to try driving to Holton. Or better yet try driving from western Maine to Eastern Maine (you can't get there from here).

Bleys
02-28-2006, 07:59 PM
I've noticed many of the same things at SP over the past six months. I've also notice a serious brain drain of the best contributors in recent months (Mantis, et al.). You know how I like a good meaty discussion and I look forward to some good discussions here.

There goes another few decades of my "free time" ;)

Steelsun
03-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Nice to see some familiar faces.

stymiee
03-01-2006, 03:05 PM
How the heck did I miss your intro? Oh, yeah. I wasn't looking for it. ;)

KLB
03-01-2006, 03:05 PM
You know I'm almost feeling sorry for the pre-Chris being fired members of this forum. SP refugees could quickly overwhelm their numbers.

ses5909
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi ken.

Westech
03-01-2006, 04:06 PM
You know I'm almost feeling sorry for the pre-Chris being fired members of this forum. SP refugees could quickly overwhelm their numbers.

I demand a "Founding Member" badge! If I don't get it, I'll take my contributions over to Sitepoint where I know they'll be appreciated! :p

Steelsun
03-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Bwaah Haha!

Egor
03-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi Kenny. ;)

KLB
03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Please just Ken, not Kenny. Only my grandma gets away with Kenny.