PDA

View Full Version : How much content before launching a blog?

deronsizemore
02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
I've had a domain name I've been meaning to turn into a blog to start with to try and build a solid foundation, and then gradually building the site with more features, etc...

When starting a blog, should I just launch the design and then start blogging, or do you recommend not launching until 10-15 articles have been written?

My common sense tells me the latter, but I'm not real experienced in the blogging area.

Chris
02-19-2006, 11:20 AM
The former won't hurt you.

Cutter
02-19-2006, 05:22 PM
I've never launched a blog with content, but you certainly can if you've got it; I just wouldn't delay launching it because you are writing content.

I'll let you on it a little secret which up until now I've only told one person. I'm writing a Blogging book right now. I'm actually spending most of today doing this. I want to get it out ASAP, but there is still plenty of work to be done. Since you are working on launching a blog right now, I'd be happy to send you a free copy (once its in readable form) in exchange for feedback. I can't make any promises, but I really hope I can get a first draft done by mid to late this week.

I'm covering pretty much everything you need to know step by step. I don't know what software you are using, but I'll be covering some technical stuff about Wordpress to help SEO.

deronsizemore
02-19-2006, 06:08 PM
I've never launched a blog with content, but you certainly can if you've got it; I just wouldn't delay launching it because you are writing content.

I'll let you on it a little secret which up until now I've only told one person. I'm writing a Blogging book right now. I'm actually spending most of today doing this. I want to get it out ASAP, but there is still plenty of work to be done. Since you are working on launching a blog right now, I'd be happy to send you a free copy (once its in readable form) in exchange for feedback. I can't make any promises, but I really hope I can get a first draft done by mid to late this week.

I'm covering pretty much everything you need to know step by step. I don't know what software you are using, but I'll be covering some technical stuff about Wordpress to help SEO.

Andrew, that'd be great if you would do that!! I'd definitely give you feedback on it!

If it makes a difference I'm probably going to use TextPattern...but not opposed to Wordpress. I've always been interested in wordpress, but am more familiar with TextPattern.

Just let me know what I need to do.

-Deron

Dural
02-19-2006, 06:43 PM
If you're looking for feedback, count me in for a free copy.

James
02-19-2006, 06:47 PM
It doesn't really matter which you choose to do. You have to post at least an entry per day, or a good one every two, if you want your blog getting big.

Chris
02-19-2006, 07:42 PM
The thing is, blogs are organized chronalogically. So posted all at once isn't going to jive well unless you manually edit the database to make it look like you posted over a span of several weeks or months.

Many blog directories require that your blog has been run for a certain amount of time, like 6 months, before they'll list you.

Cutter
02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
You don't necessarily have to make the articles part of the blog. I have one blog where I wrote articles seperate and they actually get most of the search engine traffic.

All WebsitePublisher users will get a steep discount, but I can't give everyone free copies unless you can send sales too :cool:

deron: I don't know about textpattern, I've never used it before. No idea how search engine friendly it is, but I'll look into it.

James
02-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Textpattern, while I've never really liked it, has been used in the past by some high-profile bloggers. It does require a bit of programming knowledge and its interface isn't quite as good as WordPress' 1.2- one, but it's still a good tool, and I'd suggest you include it in your book, as well as some movable type stuff. If you're able to get the permission of their creators, of course.
Just things like how to hook up your template, how to navigate the user interface, etc.

deronsizemore
02-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Textpattern, while I've never really liked it, has been used in the past by some high-profile bloggers. It does require a bit of programming knowledge and its interface isn't quite as good as WordPress' 1.2- one, but it's still a good tool, and I'd suggest you include it in your book, as well as some movable type stuff. If you're able to get the permission of their creators, of course.
Just things like how to hook up your template, how to navigate the user interface, etc.

I found TextPattern to have a steep learning curve at first but have a grasp of the basics now and trying to build on that. I'll admit there are still alot of stuff that I just can't wrap my head around.

I might give wordpress a try for this blog site just for the heck of it...

deronsizemore
02-19-2006, 10:31 PM
deron: I don't know about textpattern, I've never used it before. No idea how search engine friendly it is, but I'll look into it.

From what I understand it's very search engine friendly. There are a ton of people who will tell you TextPattern is second to none...as well as the WordPress crowd who'll say the same. It seems TextPattern has a lot of other CMS features like a portal type site with blog features, where WordPress is strictly a blogging tool.

Just PM me or whatever when the book is completed. Like I said, I actually had debated using wordpress over txp for this new blog just for the sake of learning and trying something different, so if you're writing a type of "step by step" guide, then all the better! :)

bassplaya
02-20-2006, 01:34 PM
You must check fresh Wordpress 2 -- its possible to create "portal type site" not just blog too.

Dural
02-20-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm using the older version of Wordpress as a CMS. Works great.

How many articles? Chris is right -- launching with nothing won't hurt you, but in my opinion, you benefit more in the long run from starting with a nice database of content.

I personally started after I'd written 30 quality articles (500+ words each). Because I was entirely focused on the content, I was easily able to write 2-3 articles per day while juggling my other businesses.

Now that I've launched, I do 2-3 things per day to promote the blog, which only leaves me time to write one article per day, if that. Normally, one article per day is a bit on the low side, but because I had plenty of content already, users don't seem to mind. I'm averaging five page views per visitor. From what I understand, that's pretty good.