PDA

View Full Version : Xml + Css ??

DiGO
02-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Uses xml and css whether may the quicker display homepage?

My website - www.aypearl.com

The hope provides the good article and the books.

Thanks.
:)

Vinnie
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Are you talking about XHTML?

If you are, then no, there's nothing about XHTML that makes it render faster than your average HTML document. However, if you don't use tables in your code you will see an improvement in the appearance of your site, since browsers wait for the entire table to be rendered before displaying it on screen. This doesn't happen with a tableless layout.

Now if you're really talking about XML instead of XHTML, then I don't recommend you do it. XML doesn't play nicely with search engines, at least not as nicely as HTML. There's also the problem of browsers that don't support XML/XSLT well like Opera before version 9.

charmedlover
03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
If you are, then no, there's nothing about XHTML that makes it render faster than your average HTML

Well if you use the proper MIME type there is. On my website we serve most of our pages as application/xhtml+xml and there are signifigant load time differences with it from when IE renders it as HTML.

Now if you're really talking about XML instead of XHTML, then I don't recommend you do it. XML doesn't play nicely with search engines, at least not as nicely as HTML. There's also the problem of browsers that don't support XML/XSLT well like Opera before version 9.

He is not talking about using XSLT, correct? Opera will work fine with XML since version 6 no problem. What is nice is that you can use all the more interesting CSS to really display your XML nicely, however it will not work well with other browsers.

I actually experimented a lot with XML and CSS using Opera 6, way back when.

Vinnie
03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
He is not talking about using XSLT, correct? Opera will work fine with XML since version 6 no problem. What is nice is that you can use all the more interesting CSS to really display your XML nicely, however it will not work well with other browsers.

I actually experimented a lot with XML and CSS using Opera 6, way back when.
Yeah XML+CSS is great, but XML+XSLT is a more powerful combination once you hit a wall with CSS (i.e. creating links). It's still not one I'd generally recommend for client-side viewing though because of the whole "search engines understand the semantics of HTML but not any random XML you throw at it" issue.

charmedlover
03-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes, XML is not fit (nor designed) for the manor it is used on the web. However, XML is great for storing/describing data in a rapidly changing environment or one that is accessed using various mediums.

It has come in handy when I had a client's website reading data from XML files using PHP and then the client could log into a Java app I coded to update that data. As for using it as an HTML replacement there is no point really, or so I'd think.

Kate
03-01-2006, 10:31 PM
If you are, then no, there's nothing about XHTML that makes it render faster than your average HTML document. However, if you don't use tables in your code you will see an improvement in the appearance of your site, since browsers wait for the entire table to be rendered before displaying it on screen. This doesn't happen with a tableless layout.

So, would this mean a tableless design loads faster? (sorry, I am a bit slow.)

Egor
03-02-2006, 05:09 AM
So, would this mean a tableless design loads faster? (sorry, I am a bit slow.)

Yes, the rendering time on the screen will generally be faster if you aren't using tables for layout.

charmedlover
03-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Yes, because it takes longer for browsers to load nested tables than it would for a <div> based layout. Complex tables are a no-no.

Mr.M
03-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Another advantage of using <div>'s for layout is that the total file size well be reduced significantly, since you won't be using all those unnecessary table tags.

Vinnie
03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Another advantage of using <div>'s for layout is that the total file size well be reduced significantly, since you won't be using all those unnecessary table tags.
It depends on how good/bad you are with tables/divs. I've seen some nasty tableless layouts and some fairly clean tables in my travels :)

KLB
03-02-2006, 11:23 AM
It depends on how good/bad you are with tables/divs. I've seen some nasty tableless layouts and some fairly clean tables in my travels :)

Same here well coded a table design and a div design would have a similar file size.