PDA

View Full Version : Should you continue an idea when this happens?

deronsizemore
02-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Well I had an idea for a website. I got the idea from my full time job. It's something that people seem to really complain about where I work, so I thought, why not make a website to help those in need?

Well come to find out there is already a site that deals with the ideas I had. I only have came across one though. I thought I was on to something really big, because even after a quick google search a while back I didn't find anything on this subject, but later came across the site.

So, now I'm stuck with the question of to develop or not to develop? Do I develop a site and try to incorportate the same general idea only with a twist which would hopefully be an improvement from the one already published (that is if I can come up with a twist). Or do I just scrap the whole idea all together? I'm afraid that if I go through with it then I'll just be labeled as the "copy catter" lol. Even though I still feel like my idea was original since at first I had no idea another site exsisted.

Thanks

James
02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Does it matter if you're labelled as a copy-cat-er?
Look at almost every large website. They all have similar sites.

No one says that you have to be original (though you shouldn't steal their content/design, or use the idea if it's very niche and specialized). You did come up with the idea on your own, and there's demand for it.

ozgression
02-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Do it... what have you got to lose?

r2d2
02-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Only having 1 competitor is a great place to be - go for it.

Imagine if Apple said 'Oh, Creative already have a personal mp3 player, we'd better not make the iPod or people will think we're copycats...'.

Business is business - if you have a great idea, then go for it. Don't let worrying about what other people might think stop you.

deronsizemore
02-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Well...looks like I'm gonna do it. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

though you shouldn't steal their content/design, or use the idea if it's very niche and specialized

Well, it is very niche and specialize, that is the only thing. But still the only site out there of it's kind. I guess like everyone said...what have I got to lose? It's not like this guy has a copyright on the idea. I'm sure I can come up with some ideas to differentiate mine and his, though dealing with the same subject.

s2kinteg916
02-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Another thing to look at is... how well built is this other guys website ? Does it involve a community ? One competitor usually means its a great market to get in but i tend to find a couple more competitors as i slowly develop the website.

deronsizemore
02-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Another thing to look at is... how well built is this other guys website ? Does it involve a community ? One competitor usually means its a great market to get in but i tend to find a couple more competitors as i slowly develop the website.

No, no community that I see. Might be a good idea to add some type of forum. I've done a good bit of searching and only see one site as a competitor. Now, I also did some searching a while back before I knew there was already someone with this idea running a site, and didn't find anyone so go figure....lol You're probably right...there is probably more competition out there.

chrispian
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Google was one of the last search engines into the game. Now look at them.

Cutter
02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Same can be said of Myspace too

Mullen
03-02-2006, 02:07 AM
It doesn't look like you need any more convincing, but I would defiantly do it if I was in your shoes.

As people have already stated, it doesn't matter if there is competition out there, at least you will know what people expect and you can improve on that when developing your own site.

deronsizemore
03-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Nice! Thanks for all the reassuring comments!

Bleys
03-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Definitely do it. There is a huge market for second-choice products. It doesn't matter if you're first to market, only that you provide a quality product or service that people will want to buy/use. And if you can think of a unique twist to set you apart, or improve upon their product or business model, all the better. :)

Tijmen
03-04-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm working on several sites myself that are targeted in a niche that already has some major websites in it, but they all seem to have done things that don't really make sense to me.

So just study the other websites that might be similair and if you think you can do a better job, just go for it. And i shouldn't really worry about the copy-cat thing, i assume you are not planning on copying the layout. So just make sure you give it your own twist and have quality content.