PDA

View Full Version : Selling items via store and taxes ?

s2kinteg916
02-10-2006, 10:41 AM
I run a car enthusiast website and i want to make sure everything is legit. I plan on selling stickers for car enthusiast at 2.00 a pop or something i havent really decided. The price is shipped...

So if i am correct i believe if you are selling to your own state you have to charge sales tax. I find it unreasonable to charge 2.00 plus like 15 cents or whatever.

Whats the correct way to handle this sitution ?

Chris
02-10-2006, 11:42 AM
If you're in you're selling to your own state, or to a state where you have a physical presence, you have to charge sales tax.

You also need to register for sales/use/withholding tax from your state.

Some states are trying to change it so you have to charge tax for every state, but so far its not mandatory.

s2kinteg916
02-11-2006, 06:28 PM
is there another term for ? sales/use/withholding tax ?

is that the same as a sale/retail license ? Also what are the fee's associated with this ?

i did some research so that probally means i also need a business license before i can get a sales/retail license

Steelsun
03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
You probably do need a license to legally sell stuff in your state. Check with a local accountant or attorney for advice.

Many states allow you to sell items with "Sales Tax Included", so your $2 item is actually $1.86 plus 14 cents tax (if your sales tax rate is 7.5%). But you have to have disclaimers for this in most states.