PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge?

deronsizemore
02-07-2006, 09:08 AM
I have a friend that is building a "one page informational site" for another friend of his. I have a reseller account with ResellerZoom and he is curious if he could get me to set up an account for him being a reseller so he doesn't have to do with with another company.

How much space would you give him for the site, being it's only one page, and how much would you charge? I don't imagine the site will have much traffic...

vatsia
02-07-2006, 09:25 AM
I would offer him 10 mb space , 300 mb bandwidth and 1 email at no charge :)

You never know what the future may bring for business opportunities with the friend of your friend ..... :rolleyes:

Westech
02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Well, obviously you should charge him at least whatever that part of the reseller account costs you. That's the easy part.

What many people reselling hosting overlook is the time that they will have to spend supporting the people they resell to. Every time your friend can't get something to work, needs a php setting changed, etc. he'll be calling you and not the host. Even if it's something the host has to fix the request will have to go through you and you'll end up wasting your time on it.

Also keep in mind that from now on any time you change servers or hosts you'll have to drag him along with you and help him transfer his site, email, etc.

My advice: Figure out how much of your time will be used up each month dealing with helping him and setting things up for him. Then double it, because you've almost certainly underestimated it. Figure out how much you think that amount of your time is worth and add that to whatever his portion of the space and bandwidth cost.

deronsizemore
02-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Well, obviously you should charge him at least whatever that part of the reseller account costs you. That's the easy part.

What many people reselling hosting overlook is the time that they will have to spend supporting the people they resell to. Every time your friend can't get something to work, needs a php setting changed, etc. he'll be calling you and not the host. Even if it's something the host has to fix the request will have to go through you and you'll end up wasting your time on it.

Also keep in mind that from now on any time you change servers or hosts you'll have to drag him along with you and help him transfer his site, email, etc.

My advice: Figure out how much of your time will be used up each month dealing with helping him and setting things up for him. Then double it, because you've almost certainly underestimated it. Figure out how much you think that amount of your time is worth and add that to whatever his portion of the space and bandwidth cost.

Ah...thanks for the detailed reply. A lot of things this "newb" didn't think of! Thanks for pointing them out...it may end up before more then I want to deal with. lol.

I would offer him 10 mb space , 300 mb bandwidth and 1 email at no charge

You never know what the future may bring for business opportunities with the friend of your friend .....

Thanks! Good advice there too...although I don't know how much business opportunity it could bring, but might. You never know.