PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry or Palm Treo

Westech
02-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Anyone here using a Blackberry or Treo? I'm shopping around for one or the other and would be interested in any comments you have about them.

deronsizemore
02-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Anyone here using a Blackberry or Treo? I'm shopping around for one or the other and would be interested in any comments you have about them.

I actually work at T-Mobile for my full time job...what carrier are you with?

Depends on what model number and everything you're talking about. The Treo 600 was terrible and I don't think the 650 is much better. The 700 is suppose to be nice though with the windows based software.

Blackberry, they are alright too. Lots of cool stuff, but I deal with a lot of problems with them. (now granted this might be that the people with the problems just don't have any idea how to use the damn thing). The new BlackBerry 7105t isn't bad with T-mobile. Not really any issues with it yet.

Westech
02-02-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty much forced to use Cingular since they're the only one with a good signal in some of the areas I travel to. I'll be getting either a Blackberry 8700 or a Treo 650. I'd love to get a Treo 700, but Cingular doesn't offer them yet and I need one pretty quickly to replace my current Palm.

I've been hearing rumors that a Palm-OS version of the Treo 700 might be coming out at some point too. Do you have any inside info on that? ;)

I've heard a lot of people complaining that the Treo 650's lock up at random times and you can't get any calls until you notice and reset the device. Any truth to that?

The Blackberries seem really neat, but I really need to be able to send and receive email from multiple accounts on multiple domains. (One account for each of my websites. It wouldn't look very good if I replied to an inquiry from a business webhosting customer from an @crazymonkeygames.com address.) My understanding is that I can't have multiple email accounts on one Blackberry and still get the emails in real-time, which is the whole point of a Blackberry.

Thanks for you help!

deronsizemore
02-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty much forced to use Cingular since they're the only one with a good signal in some of the areas I travel to. I'll be getting either a Blackberry 8700 or a Treo 650. I'd love to get a Treo 700, but Cingular doesn't offer them yet and I need one pretty quickly to replace my current Palm.

I've been hearing rumors that a Palm-OS version of the Treo 700 might be coming out at some point too. Do you have any inside info on that? ;)

I've heard a lot of people complaining that the Treo 650's lock up at random times and you can't get any calls until you notice and reset the device. Any truth to that?

The Blackberries seem really neat, but I really need to be able to send and receive email from multiple accounts on multiple domains. (One account for each of my websites. It wouldn't look very good if I replied to an inquiry from a business webhosting customer from an @crazymonkeygames.com address.) My understanding is that I can't have multiple email accounts on one Blackberry and still get the emails in real-time, which is the whole point of a Blackberry.

Thanks for you help!

Well for whatever reason we don't carry the Treo650. Maybe becuase it's junk? I know I've seen a ton of problems with the 600, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

As far as the blackberry 8700, we don't carry it, so I wont be much help there. Most of them are more or less the same though...I'll try to find out tomorrow if you can have multiple email addresses. I'll play around with the demo we have.

That sucks that you gotta stay with Cingular. I'm not going to bash them or plug T-Mobile cause they both have their ups and downs, but T-Mobile has two phones coming out called the MDA and SDA. Do a search, they look pretty sweet.

I'll see what I can find out for you though

Westech
02-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks! Don't spend too much time on it, but any info you can get would be great.

I think I'm going to go down to the Cingular store today and see if they'll let me set up a couple of my email accounts on their test models to play with.

deronsizemore
02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I did some research on the tools they give us, but couldn't really find out much of anything. It's even more difficult when we don't carry the model you're looking at. I'm almost positive though on our 7105 model you can have multiple emails addresses. If I find out anything I'll be sure to post it. :)

Westech
02-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Deron. As I said, please don't waste too much time on it. :)

I'm also looking into Windows mobile based devices and it looks like they'll do what I want. Now I just need to decide if they're peices of junk or not. I've never used one, but I do know that if I see an hourglass pop up on my PDA I'm gonna lose it!

ozgression
02-06-2006, 03:40 AM
I really need to be able to send and receive email from multiple accounts on multiple domains.

Hi, maybe try something like http://www.flurrymail.com/, then?

deronsizemore
02-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks, Deron. As I said, please don't waste too much time on it. :)

I'm also looking into Windows mobile based devices and it looks like they'll do what I want. Now I just need to decide if they're peices of junk or not. I've never used one, but I do know that if I see an hourglass pop up on my PDA I'm gonna lose it!

Oh, no problem. Sorry I couldn't find more. Maybe have a look at the MDA and SDA on ebay. They are suppose to come out here in a few months I believe with T-Mobile but you should be able to get one unlocked so you could use it with Cingular.

Here are pics of both the MDA (larger one) and SDA (one that looks more like a phone). Both run on Windows Mobile 5.0. http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/07/t-mobile-sda-and-t-mobile-mda-hitting-usa-early-2006/

s2kinteg916
02-15-2006, 08:39 AM
send / recieve email from multiple accounts ?

Gmail has been great unsure if you can do it via gmail mobile though but im sure you can.

WebairGerard
02-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Cingular 8125 check it out.

http://www.cingular.com/8125_consumer

Westech
02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks! I just discovered the Cingular 8125 (basically a cingular-branded MDA) a few days ago and have been trying to get my hands on one. It looks pretty sweet!

Westech
02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
I just got my Cingular 8125. This thing rocks! It's a busy webmaster's dream come true. I can check on my sites, reply to email, or send Paypal payments from anywhere!

I'm actually making this post from the device over the cellular network! :D

Todd W
02-23-2006, 11:59 AM
NICE!

I just looked at one of those yesterday and it seemed cool but not stirdy when sliding open?? Maybe it was because it was a demo?

I`m waiting for the new Nokia that opens in half to become available so I can compare!

I`m not renewing so I have to pay full price :(

Let us know how it works it looked awesome.

Westech
02-24-2006, 12:32 PM
It seems plenty sturdy so far. I'll post an update in a month or two and let you know if I've broken it yet. :)

Westech
03-01-2006, 12:40 PM
The hardware still seems perfect. I've been using it a lot and nothing seems to be wearing out at all. The software is getting a little annoying. I'm sure that most of this has to do with the fact that I've used Palm-OS based devices for years so I'm having trouble adjusting to Windows Mobile.

My main issue at first was that the thing can be S L O W ! When I want to make a phone call, I want to make it NOW. I don't want to stare at an hourglass for 15 seconds while it loads the phone screen! Now that I've learned a little more about it, apparently the little X in the corner of each program doesn't close the program, but only minimizes it. The result: I had 5 or so programs running in the background that were slowing everything down. Once I closed them properly the speed was much more acceptable (but still not as snappy as my Palm.)

Overall, I'm still very happy with it. I keep liking it more and more as I get used to how to do things with the new OS.

PICS:
http://www.ojj.us/pics/phoneopen.jpg
http://www.ojj.us/pics/phoneclosed.jpg

deronsizemore
03-01-2006, 03:29 PM
The hardware still seems perfect. I've been using it a lot and nothing seems to be wearing out at all. The software is getting a little annoying. I'm sure that most of this has to do with the fact that I've used Palm-OS based devices for years so I'm having trouble adjusting to Windows Mobile.

My main issue at first was that the thing can be S L O W ! When I want to make a phone call, I want to make it NOW. I don't want to stare at an hourglass for 15 seconds while it loads the phone screen! Now that I've learned a little more about it, apparently the little X in the corner of each program doesn't close the program, but only minimizes it. The result: I had 5 or so programs running in the background that were slowing everything down. Once I closed them properly the speed was much more acceptable (but still not as snappy as my Palm.)

Overall, I'm still very happy with it. I keep liking it more and more as I get used to how to do things with the new OS.

PICS:
http://www.ojj.us/pics/phoneopen.jpg
http://www.ojj.us/pics/phoneclosed.jpg

Looks good. Looks like the MDA we have there at T-Mobile.

Westech
03-31-2006, 05:22 PM
I just want to reiterate how much this thing rocks. right now I'm sitting on a beach in california with a beer in one hand and this pda in the other. I'm running the day-to-day operations of my sites (and making this post) from A FREAKING BEACH IN CALIFORNIA! how cool is that? :D

on the other hand, I'm sitting on the edge of the water relaxing and drinking a beer... and I still can't make myself stop compulsively checking my email. How sad is that?

I guess its a double edged sword.

oh, and toddw, its still holding up great so far. I just hope I can keep the sand out of it!

WebairGerard
04-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks! I just discovered the Cingular 8125 (basically a cingular-branded MDA) a few days ago and have been trying to get my hands on one. It looks pretty sweet!

Congrats! I have finally take the plunge too. How are the speeds browsing?

Westech
04-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I get between 50 and 200 kilobits/s depending on what kind of signal I'm getting. It's not blazing fast, but it's fine for email and light browsing.