PDA

View Full Version : Chat to increase traffic ?

Camilla
01-31-2006, 05:40 AM
I have a site, and the traffic there is not that bad but I check the statistics and see that users leave after seeing a couple of pages. Do you think a chat or something like that would help and does it keep people really? I do not know much about chats, how would I choose a good one?

r2d2
01-31-2006, 07:18 AM
What do you mean by a 'chat'? A blog?

And welcome to WebPub!

James
01-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Welcome to Website Publisher.

You may mean a chat room, I'm thinking. In this case: they're high maintainence, require a large already existing user base, and probably won't give you any return.

Forums, blogs, etc. are all good for getting traffic though--if you promote them properly. And all can end up being more profitable than your website, if that's your goal.

Cutter
01-31-2006, 08:51 AM
I've seen these chat boxes publishers put on a side column of their site. No idea if that increases traffic. I've never read a single case study or heard any talk about web site chat beyond live customer support. I think James is right, you need the traffic first.

Forums are hard enough to get going. Now imagine a forum where you can only read what the other people logged in right now say. I think chat is a thing to add after you've got lots of visitors, not something that will bring them in.

However, there is one idea which you might use. I don't know what your site is about, but lets say its about mystery novels. You could have a live chat session every sunday night with an author and people could come in and ask questions and talk to each other.

Sean
01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
they're high maintainence, require a large already existing user base, and probably won't give you any return.

I know a few females who would fit under that description.

Anyways, I agree with what James and Cutter said. I wouldn't use a chat box/chat room/shout box/shout room? unless it was really needed for something specific. Forums would be a much better way to go if you have the traffic etc. to build it up.

I guess it really depends on the site's topic though.

Oh and welcome to WP.

asphalt
01-31-2006, 03:23 PM
I know a few females who would fit under that description.

That was good.....

buffy
02-01-2006, 08:45 AM
However, there is one idea which you might use. I don't know what your site is about, but lets say its about mystery novels. You could have a live chat session every sunday night with an author and people could come in and ask questions and talk to each other.

A plain chat though is not that cool. I came up with idea to make a schedule of topics to discuss and then users come for that specific thing . :)

buffy
02-01-2006, 08:46 AM
I have a site, and the traffic there is not that bad but I check the statistics and see that users leave after seeing a couple of pages. Do you think a chat or something like that would help and does it keep people really? I do not know much about chats, how would I choose a good one?

I had flashcoms.com chat installed and it's very nice
so you can try this

etech-martin
02-01-2006, 11:26 AM
I think chat is good for sales and pre-sales communication. IMO, it will not be a way to promote your site. I agree with james, alternately you can use Forums or blogs with right approach to promote your site. However, I would suggest you can install online live chat on your site to provide information about your services. :)

Camilla
02-02-2006, 03:51 AM
wow, the idea of discussion schedule is awesome !!!