PDA

View Full Version : Editorial coverage

donelson
01-28-2006, 05:16 AM
We have excellent listings in Google, Yahoo, etc for our virtual tour website -

Explore Kew Gardens - online virtual tour (free)
http://www.explore-kew-gardens.net

We have also done two press releases through PRweb.com last year, which did not generate much traffic, but which DID improve our ranking in Google. (yes!)

What we need now is to get newspapers, magazines and websites to write about our virtual tour, and provide a link to it.

We tried sending out about 180 targetted emails to NO effect. Waste of time. We tried posting info about our website in Garden-type forums, some minor increases in traffic.

Aside from the old-fashioned way of actually looking up phone numbers and calling newspaper editors, etc, is there any other way of getting good promotion for our AWARD-WINNING virtual tour site?

We'd be willing to pay someone to get editorial coverage of the site.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

(And have a look at our Explore the Taj Mahal http://www.taj-mahal.net )

Cutter
01-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Have you tried a press release using a site like PRweb?

Sean
01-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Have you tried a press release using a site like PRweb?

We have also done two press releases through PRweb.com last year, which did not generate much traffic, but which DID improve our ranking in Google. (yes!)
;) hehe

Cutter
01-28-2006, 04:01 PM
I swear that post was edited after I read it ;)

If you press releases aren't doing it, then hire a pro who specializes in writing them, and send out more of them.

donelson
01-28-2006, 04:59 PM
If you press releases aren't doing it, then hire a pro who specializes in writing them, and send out more of them.My press releases (six of them last year) have done really well, in terms of readers, etc. But we haven't had a single (real) article generated online from them. Don't know about offline newspapers etc...

What I really want is a "press agent" or similar, who will take our excellent press releases (editted by pros) and push then into the Editorial Channel by hand, by telephone, by post, by physical non-web means. I've pushed all the web channels for years, and it's like pushing a rope; nothing happens.

I figure someone who knows the editorial game, and perhaps even has an old-boy set of connections, can get us some coverage.

The websites are very interesting to the general public, as well as special interests. They are hearing-impaired friendly. They offer terrific resources for schools etc. And they are visually beautiful with good breath AND depth.

We just need someone who knows how to get editors to bite.

Cutter
01-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Ok, I understand what you mean now. There was a press release guy who specialized in doing this for websites, I'm trying to figure out what his name/web site address was.. I'll see if I can figure out what it was. This isn't the first time I've forgotten it.

donelson
01-29-2006, 01:00 AM
I'll see if I can figure out what it was. This isn't the first time I've forgotten it.Maybe you mentioned it here, once upon a time. Or another forum; search. Thanks.

WSM2006
01-30-2006, 10:55 AM
As a magazine writer you are better building a media list from scratch, building relationships with them and working those deals until you get some coverage. PRWeb is fantastic but few journalists scour them to find something interesting.

donelson
01-30-2006, 04:01 PM
What I need is someone who knows the gardening and garden touring worlds, who knows which publications will find our story interesting, and will have contact names within that world.

Thanks.

Shawn
01-31-2006, 09:20 AM
I beg to differ, WSM. A local television station contacted us within hours of posting a Press Release on PRWeb. I'm a true believer of what press releases can do.

donelson
02-02-2006, 04:42 PM
I still think the best way will be to get 100 carefully chosen publications (e.g. via Writers Market ref), locate the correct reporter/writer, speak with them personally on the phone, talk about our story and see if there's interest there, and get permission to send them something, either via email or post if they want.

That takes a lot of time, but seems to be the only way forward.

I would not be averse to hiring someone who would be good at that.

Shawn
02-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Also, every time you send out a press release, make sure you send it to local newspapers and television stations. They LOVE presenting stories on local businesses, especially when they relate to the web some how.

It shows how the "local area is connecting to the rest of the World." Obviously doesn't apply if you live in Chicago, New York, Atlanta, etc, but it does for most cities.

donelson
02-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Also, every time you send out a press release, make sure you send it to local newspapers and television stations. They LOVE presenting stories on local businesses, especially when they relate to the web some how.

It shows how the "local area is connecting to the rest of the World." Obviously doesn't apply if you live in Chicago, New York, Atlanta, etc, but it does for most cities.London, and I've tried that to no avail. I've even called some editors/reporters (Times, Guardian, Telegraph etc), and had good interest, but nothing ever happened (even after calling them once or twice a month for six months). So, London is too big I guess.

(We were part of a wonderful article in the Sunday Times two years ago, but that was serendipity; the writer found it by himself and didn't even talk to us before publication. That one article more than doubled average total visitors over 3-4 days)

Shawn
02-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Well, if you're in London competing with probably the dozens (if not hundreds) of press releases received each day by newspaper/television editors, I would rely on the first technique I posted. Just make your PR appeal to the general public.

If you own a garden site, write a press release with your company releasing information on how to grow basic, successful garden in your backyard. Own a bank, release information on how customers can save money each month. Run a gym, send out a press release containing ways customers can lose pounds while performing their daily routine.

Your goal is to make the consumer segment section in a newspaper or television, as you're more likely than not going to get into the business, news, or other sections.

That's about all the advice I can give. Sorry if it's nothing new.

donelson
02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks to all.