PDA

View Full Version : How to sell these books?

agua
01-28-2006, 01:20 AM
My Partner has completed a few holistic therapy courses and has quite a few text books to sell, between 50 - 100, on the subjects of Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture and General Health and Nutrition.

I was thinking of maybe selling them on amazon - but we are based in Australia and in my experiences most stores are in the UK or US (I'm yet to find an Australian one) and this may put people off with postage costs and so on.

I have thought of ebay, and also an Australian second hand book store - but I was wondering if its worth starting a small site of my own?

If not - do I have any other options for selling books online?

Thanks

ozgression
01-28-2006, 02:42 AM
I would just sell them on eBay.

agua
01-28-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm not convinced of the returns on "niche" books on ebay - I could see them all going for $1 - and with all the time and energy expended (x100) it just ain't worth it.

Some of these books cost $70 retail, I don't expect this back, I'm looking at 50% or less, - but I may be looking for another partner if I sell all her books for $100 :p

MarkB
01-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Why not put a notice up at wherever your partner did the course? New students may be interested in 2nd hand, cheaper books.

Masetek
01-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Yeah MarkB is on the money! My GF went to uni in the UK and they do it all the time. Se never bought retail and sold all her book no worries. Students are poor, 2nd hand books are cheap!

Chris
01-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Here in the US there are tons of online used bookstores that'll buy back your books. I would search for some AU equivalents.

MarkB
01-28-2006, 12:44 PM
The online book trade in Australia is still in its infancy; the publishers are in too deep with traditional book sellers (and they tend to do their own distro, too, so can set whatever price they want). *shrug*

agua
01-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Some good ideas there - thanks.

She did the course in the UK - but we live in Aus now... but I'm going to look for a similar college near by.

I'll check out the second hand bookstores here - but I don't remember seeing any which would buy books.

michael_gersitz
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Try selling on half.com... You can name your price... and you should get compensated automatically if you are shipping internationaly...

MarkB
01-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Agua - any second hand bookstore will buy books (especially for topics which people who tend to shop in second hand bookstores would be interested in (ie, hippies;)). They just won't pay much for them.