PDA

View Full Version : Grabbing Expired(ing) Domain Names

aeroguy
01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
I am wondering if anyone has experience with expired(ing) domain names. In particular how does the pr change, i know that pr goes to zero for the short term but does it come back to its pre expired status? If so anyone know how long is this waiting period. thanks

Chris
01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
When I did this once before I had to send in a manual request to Google to unblock it.

aeroguy
01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Chris, was that because the domain had adsense and was banned, the current domain i am eyeing on seems to be clean (no ads did a archive search) however it also appears to be offine for 2 years.

deronsizemore
01-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Chris, was that because the domain had adsense and was banned, the current domain i am eyeing on seems to be clean (no ads did a archive search) however it also appears to be offine for 2 years.

Sorry to get off subject, but you say you're eyeing one right now...how do you plan to get it? I mean if the person that owns it renews the domain then you have no shot right?

aeroguy
01-27-2006, 06:39 PM
thats true deronsizemore, however i have serveral drop catchers lined up, just in case.

deronsizemore
01-27-2006, 08:57 PM
thats true deronsizemore, however i have serveral drop catchers lined up, just in case.

Cool...I was just curious. I didn't know if there was some sneaky way of getting domains that are about to expire that I didn't know about. There was one I wanted that was going to expire on Jan. 23rd, and I was going through snap names, but the owner renewed for a year. :mad:

aeroguy
01-27-2006, 09:42 PM
you can usually tell if the domain is going to be reregistered by looking at the whois. In my experience, folks that have the whois email from hotmail, yahoo...etc tend not to renew domains. Maybe its because they lost their account or someone hijacked it :D .

deronsizemore
01-27-2006, 10:06 PM
you can usually tell if the domain is going to be reregistered by looking at the whois. In my experience, folks that have the whois email from hotmail, yahoo...etc tend not to renew domains. Maybe its because they lost their account or someone hijacked it :D .

Ah, good tip. Probably get so much junk in their yahoo/hotmial account that they don't get the email reminding them to renew. Seems the last few I've wanted that were taken have the whois blocked though.

MrGeeK
03-01-2006, 02:51 AM
google seem to "blacklist" recently expired domains because in the past spamy types used to snap them up and put spamy sites on them. I'm not sure what is included in the "blacklist" but you definately lose any previous PR. (The blacklist might just be a purge of the domain from googles index so that as far as google is concerned it is a new domain)

Having said that, there is a limit, for instance I know that Google track expiring TLD domains (eg .com), and they probably track some ccTLD (country code TLD's, eg .nz) but they don't track them all.

So if your looking at picking up an expired domain with PR, make sure you pick the right ccTLD (.nz isn't tracked for instance, or wasn't last time I checked)

tommy_boy
03-21-2006, 09:42 AM
I accidentally bought one of these domains and it looks like it was owned 2 times. The first owner had a site and then it seemed to be parked for some months. Can anyone confirm this:

What is intersting is the way google displays banned domains versus unregistrered/no-content domains. Here is what is says when you search for "domain.com" if it is banned:
Sorry, no information is available for the URL domain.com
* Find web pages that contain the term "domain.com"

And here is how it looks if not banned:
Sorry, no information is available for the URL domain.com
* If the URL is valid, try visiting that web page by clicking on the following link: domain.com
* Find web pages that contain the term "domain.com"

Blue Cat Buxton
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I hadn't spotted that distinction over the results before now; the good news is that previously owned sites do come out of this type of 'ban', but it can take several months.

I don't think .infos are effected, or at least not to the same extent, for what that is worth.

tommy_boy
03-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Serveral months? Incredible.. I wonder if it would be easier to just start over with a different name... Does Yahoo treat expired domains the same?

Blue Cat Buxton
03-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Serveral months? Incredible.. I wonder if it would be easier to just start over with a different name... Does Yahoo treat expired domains the same?

In my experience this type of ban is just a Google thing.