PDA

View Full Version : Record Keeping Software - MS Money - QuikcBooks

Todd W
01-25-2006, 11:04 AM
What do you guys use and why?

MS Money Deluxe

QuickBooks Enterprise(or small business... or whatever?)

I`m looking to track my expenses better than on paper this year to make next year a lot easier.

Looking for opinions.

Chris
01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
I tried quickbooks but didn't like it. All I wanted was to keep track of expenses and it wanted me to run my entire business through it. Apparently Intuit never heard of KISS.

I use my own little custom php app.

Westech
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I've found that Quickbooks, Quicken, etc. are all way too complicated for what I need. I just use a little Microsoft Access database I threw together to keep track of different categories of income and expenses and run reports. It works great for me.

deronsizemore
01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
I need to learn some programming stuff...I'd be nice to write my own program to keep track of expenses! :)

AndyH
01-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Cashflow Manager

Accountant sold it to me.

Todd W
01-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Chris- That was my general feeling too after I tried to play with quickbooks, glad to know it's not just me. It had like 1,000 options (no joke) and was WAY to comlicated to keep track of simple expenses and income.

Do you want to share your php APp?

I was thinking something simple.

"Add Expense" Page
"Add Income" Page

Someplace where I can assign payment/epxense ID#s (paypalID#) so I can make printing it all easy.

In 2006 I`ll be printing every payment through paypal I make as an expense sure saves time going back over the entire previous year :eek:

Andy- Cashflow Manager, easy to use?

AndyH
01-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Never used anything else so I can't really compare it. But it is simple enough. Australian only I believe.

Masetek
01-25-2006, 10:18 PM
I just use a spreadsheet atm but am planning on writing a php app for it. At the moment I only have few income streams so a speadsheet is easily enough

Todd W
01-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I just use a spreadsheet atm but am planning on writing a php app for it. At the moment I only have few income streams so a speadsheet is easily enough

Income is easy... it's all the $ I spend on advertising through paypal and other methods that are very tricky to keep track of 'nicely' for taxes.

chromate
01-27-2006, 11:55 AM
At the moment, I just use a simple spreadsheet as my accounts are so simple. I hardly have any expenses at all, apart from when I advertise occasionally.

But I've got some stock on the way for a small ecommerce venture and will probably start a UK ltd company to front it and keep it seperate from my content based income. So I'm thinking about using Sage Instant Accounts or Sage Line50. I basically want something that an accountant is familiar with and that allows you to zap your entire accounts over to them in an email so they can check them over / make adjustments.

Blue Cat Buxton
01-27-2006, 11:03 PM
The Sage prices look resonable, for what is almost an industry standard, although with the support option it almost doubles the cost.

This open source option looks fairly full fetured...Turbo cash (http://www.turbocashuk.com/)