PDA

View Full Version : Ad rep firms

lwordfan
01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
So how does one go about finding a reputable ad rep firm?

My site gets approx 180K unique visitors/month and serves about 7 million pages/month.

Thank you.

Chris
01-24-2006, 07:10 AM
What is your site's topic?

lwordfan
01-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi Chris,

l-word.com is a fan site in support of the tv show The L Word (Showtime's "lesbian 'sex in the city'"...just began season 3). theLlife.com is a general lesbian online community.

Thanks!

Jacky

Chris
01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
The subject matter might make it a little bit harder... but I would try TribalFusion.com. They usually have the best rates and your site is large enough to get in.

Also, GorillaNation.com focuses specifically on entertainment related sites, so they may be an option.

One thing to stress in your application is your near total female demographic (atleast I'm assuming). That type of targetting is attractive to ad networks.

lwordfan
01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Thank you! I'll apply to these.

I heard Tribal Fusion wasn't taking on sites with discussion boards due to pending litigation, but I'll apply anyway.

I appreciate your help!

Chris
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Well there is always the option not to run their ads on your forum. I don't.

I've actually found Google adsense to work well on forums, especially if you manage to get CPM based ones. On my 4 largest forums, only one hasn't performed well with Adsense

Chris
01-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Your website looks pretty nice... but there are some things you could do to improve it.

Remove the welcome screens. Requiring users and search engines to click twice to visit your homepage is bad for both promotion and usability.

You might also consider using 728x90 Google ads in your forum, rather than 428x60

Finally, I realize your forum software is heavily integrated into your site, however every phpbb installation I've run was hacked into at one time or another. No vbulletin installation I've run has ever been hacked. Additionally, vbulletin kicks phpbb's *** in features, especially the backend. Generally the only people who use phpbb are those who cannot afford the $160 for vbulletin, but due to the success of your site I'm sure you can afford it.

I also worry about their being a technical hinderance, other than the welcome page, to stop search engines from crawling your internal pages as nor PageRank is showing up in the Google toolbar.