PDA

View Full Version : Keyword formatting

MarkB
11-09-2003, 07:45 AM
I have a number of websites, but the one I'm most interested in getting higher in SE rankings is our wedding site (since it has a userbase, and has a lot of potential as far as revenue is concerned).

So, what I'm wondering is - is it better to list keywords singularly (e.g. wedding, advice, forum, bride, groom, tips) or as phrases (e.g. wedding advice, bridal tips, wedding dresses, best man speeches)?

Thankyou.
Mark

Chris
11-09-2003, 08:34 AM
When you say "list keywords" where do you mean? If you're talking about meta tags it won't make much of a difference.

Also, Mark, what do you think about universalweddingregistry.com The premise of the site was that someone could create a registry from any and all online merchants. I made this clever javascript (which you could also turn into a custom IE toolbar if you want for about $100) that would allow someone to click on a button in their browser when viewing a page on any merchant and it would automatically add the product they are looking at to their registry.

Then family and friends would visit the site and buy the products, which are linked to through affiliate links (if the merchant had an affiliate program). So you'd have to develop a module for each affiliate program you wanted to include that'd edit any product URLs into affiliate links. Not that hard.

I thought this site was a great idea and it has alot of potential for serious income, but it just doesn't fit in well with the rest of my sites and I don't have the time to really finish it up.

I'd unload the domain and all the programming I've done for $200 if you're interested.

MarkB
11-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi Chris - yes, I mean in the meta tags. If it doesn't make much difference, I won't mess about with it too much.

I've seen your wedding registry site before, and thought it looked like a really good idea (and I was curious as to how you worked it - I figured it was either a toolbar or something similar to blogger's blog-this tool).

I must say, I'm interested - and the price is definitely right. But I won't have that spare for a month or so. Would you be willing to wait til then to see if it would be possible for me?

It would fit in with mygroovywedding.com perfectly (I assume I can run it with any merchants I like?).

Chris
11-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Yes, you could in theory run it with any merchants you like.

Just so we're clear some of the functionality of searching for a registry is not yet coded (you can search for a registry and view the products but you can't indicate that a product was bought), no merchant affiliate modules are coded (but the framework is there). The user backend though is coded. You could create a fake account and login.

I'm not actively trying to sell it so yes, I can wait, its no big deal. Its not like I need the money.

MarkB
11-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Strangely, once I create an account it won't let me login (I keep returning to the login box).

Chris
11-09-2003, 10:26 AM
huh, maybe I turned registration off since the site isn't done yet.

MarkB
11-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the login codes - it certainly looks promising. I tested the 'add to registry' system on Amazon.com, and it worked well. It's definitely a nice framework to kick off from :)

I'll show it to my site partner (ie, the missus) - I think it'd be a great tool for people.