PDA

View Full Version : Using Press Releases for Promotion

Dural
01-20-2006, 06:22 PM
I sent out my first press release this past Monday using PRWeb. I thought you guys might be interested in hearing about the results:

I received about 90 uniques from it, plus an invitation to write a special PDF report that will be distributed to 140,000 people with links to my site throughout. I've also been informed that the press release will be distributed to several other groups via a print newsletter with total distribution of about 20,000.

According to Google, it's been published on 247 sites. I'm guessing some of those will eventually disappear, but for now, all of them have a link back to my site.

My release received around 40,000 reads, according to the PRWeb counter. I seriously doubt that's accurate. The editors also assigned my release a score of five (the highest score), which is pretty good, from what I hear.

Not bad for $41.05. I'll probably go up to the $150 or $200 bid next time.

You can read the release here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/1/prweb333159.htm

Mike
01-21-2006, 06:36 AM
That's an impressive story in the release :)

I did the same a few days ago, making a press release for a new site through PRweb. I got around 30 uniques, but the I'd say the topic isn't as popular as real estate.

Where does it tell you how many times people have read it?

etech-martin
01-21-2006, 03:08 PM
It is a fact that press releases help your business. An optimized press release is an extremely effective promotional tool. :)
However, I wonder how do you get that statistics of visitors from the particular press release. :confused:

Dural
01-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Once you've logged in, you can see the number of leads on the homepage, as well as the estimated number of pickups.

I use a tracking plug-in for wordpress that gives me statistics on where my visitors come from.

Dural
01-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Just got a link from ProBlogger:

http://www.problogger.net/archives/2006/01/24/blogger-finds-voice-with-blogging/

380 uniques for the day and counting. Woo hoo!

etech-martin
01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Once you've logged in, you can see the number of leads on the homepage, as well as the estimated number of pickups.
I use a tracking plug-in for wordpress that gives me statistics on where my visitors come from.
Thank you so much Dural! :)

Just got a link from ProBlogger:
http://www.problogger.net/archives/...-with-blogging/
380 uniques for the day and counting. Woo hoo!
Wow.. very nice and amazing link. Thanks for sharing! ;)

john190
02-08-2006, 09:22 PM
I have also found it a great read. I have never read a press release before. I took a look at yours and thought that I wouldn't read it, but a few minutes later I had found myself at the end of your press release.

Great read.

LuckyShima
03-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Interesting article on using press releases for promotion:

http://www.marketingprofs.com/6/scottDM2.asp

Chris
03-01-2006, 07:19 AM
I think a good article on press releases for promotion is missing from this site.... I've never personally done it though so I don't feel qualified to write it.

Shawn
03-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I'll do it.

Chris
03-01-2006, 08:04 AM
okay

Tijmen
03-03-2006, 04:04 AM
As soon as my current projects are finished i'm considering sending out press release through prweb.com about them. So it's good to read your experience with them, and i'm really looking forward to that article about using press releases for promotion.

Excite
03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Dural --- Did you use an outside agency for the copy or did you write it yourself?

I am one of the unfortunate many that cannot put the words on paper in an eloquent fashion.

Shawn
03-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I'd like to create a press release writing service. I think it'd be pretty popular.

Charge like $100-$300 for the service. The service would include writing the press release, providing the client with information on how press releases work, how different media agencies pick up press releases, actually sending out the release, sending it local media outlets as well (local newspapers and television station editors), etc.

I'd send the press release out on the best day out of the week (not all days are ideal to send out release) and inform the client the entire way on my actions.

Think it'd work? I could execute it perfectly. I'd even provide discounts for long-term contract.

Let me know what you guys think.

Chris
03-04-2006, 07:34 PM
You don't think you'd be reinventing the wheel Shawn?

Erin
03-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Wow, that press release was very nicely written. Is it all true? It's just not every day that one comes across such an inspiring story. Forgive me for being direct; I'm just curious. :)

I am a professional writer, but I would gladly pay somebody a reasonable price to do this kind of writing for me, as I know how difficult it can be to get something just right. And as with all other fields, writing has myriad areas of specialty and someone talented in say writing copy may not write good grant proposals.

Shawn
03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I think while their may be a lot of press writing services, the services aren't very impressive. Either they're overpriced, or they target major companies, or they are outdated and simply submit the press releases to strictly sources, or the services are cheap and don't produce good results.

And, most of these services simply provide a product -- no phone consultation or anything about the industry and how it works.

I know of several people here alone who've inquired about press release writing services. If there are several good companies in the industry, they're at least not aparent.

It was just an idea.

Chris
03-04-2006, 09:29 PM
I just think about expense and economies of scale. Unless you're huge I see it being expensive, and its hard to be huge at first.

Dural
03-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes, it's a completely true story. And yes, I wrote it myself. My father hooked me up with business mentors when I was still in high school, and they suggested I go after a degree in English, rather than a degree in business. I took their advice. I have to say, a degree in English is immensely more valuable. I beat the pants off of MBA's every day.

I also ran a radio station during college and wrote and read press releases every week. So, about two years of experience went into writing that one. Doing anything well, including writing, is more about practice than talent. When you've written 100 press releases, you start to understand what you're doing.

Shawn, I think you'll do OK with a press release service, but remember, you're trading time for dollars. If you ever want to make real money, don't do it. Figure out a way to get paid without investing time.

Example: In one of my investing businesses, I get paid 100-200K per job. Instead of doing the work myself, I hired someone for 30K plus bonuses to help me with it. He does a great job and most of the work. I probably invest 10-20 hours per project, creating a pay rate of $10,000 per hour. That's how you get rich, my friend.

Dural
03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Shawn, are you writing the article about press releases? If not, I'll write one. With all you guys have done for me, it's the least I can do.

Shawn
03-11-2006, 05:13 AM
Yeah, you can write it. Things are slammed with me anyways.

And I wasn't implying that I would personally run the service -- I would just plan and execute it. I wouldn't trade my time for dollars, as I know that's not where the money is :)

Cloughie
05-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Is PRWEB free?

I distributed with them free AGES ago, but they seem to have added a bunch of paid options since I last visited?

Chris
05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
So... gonna write one ;) Not only do I want to publish it, but I'd really like to read it as well.

Dural
05-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Forgot all about it. I'll try to get you the article by the end of the week.

ChrisS
05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Wow great info. Thanks for sharing, Dural.

Erin
05-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Dural, I'd love to read whatever you write. As I said, you write very well. :)

Toucan42
05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I just issued my very first press release today using a free service but after reading this thread I wonder if going with a paid release next time is a better idea.