PDA

View Full Version : Large Poster

AndyH
01-19-2006, 07:10 AM
I want to make a poster, just for myself to begin with, that I can put on my wall.

How does this work? I've got the PSD file which is 3052px x 1824px.

How much would it usually cost and for what sizes?

School me please. :)

deronsizemore
01-19-2006, 07:51 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. Where would you even need to go to print something like that off?

Westech
01-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Your best bet would probably be to check with Kinko's, or whatever copy shop/business service type stores there are in your area. They may have a large format color printer they could use to print this off for you.

Alternatively, www.cafepress.com now sells posters in several different sizes. You can upload your image file and order a print of it online to be mailed to you. This would probably be more expensive, especially after shipping.

If you dont' mind it looking a little funky, this is a really neat tool: http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

It allows you to take a large image file and then print it out on multiple standard sized pages that you then tape together to reassemble the original large image. There are some cool examples on the page.

Blue Cat Buxton
01-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Thats a cool service (rasterbator) - bet it uses a lot of ink though!

Camera shops / film processors might be able to help. They usually have a poster option and are getting clued up with dealing with digital images now

paul
01-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Kinko's can print on an amazing variety of media.

r2d2
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Just looking at the resolution, I'm thinking you would want a much larger file size than that for printing a poster. I think 150dpi is as low as you would want to go, which gives you about 20" x 12" which is about A3 size - is that big enough for a poster?

See down the bottom of this page for some Oz poster printing action: http://www.worthit.com.au/?sel=What+We+Do&type=623&lay=3

Full colour:
A0.....$78....
A1.....$50....
A2.....$34....
A3.....$25....