PDA

View Full Version : Server Issues

Chris
01-14-2006, 09:01 PM
I had some issues with this server tonight. I'm fed up with crappy hsphere (the CP installed on this server) and have decided to do the long annoying process of moving all the sites off this server onto a new cpanel powered dual xeon server I just ordered.

Todd W
01-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I forget but in WHM can you transfer form hsphere -->cpanel with the root account on hshpere? That would make migration easier.

BTW: Where did you get your Dual Xeon From?

Chris
01-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think so... atleast I never saw that option.. . but yes... it would be easier.

Chris
01-14-2006, 09:15 PM
server is from ev1

Todd W
01-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Ah ok, I wasn't sure... I went from Ensim --> cPanel a few years ago.(And actualy EV1 to ThePlanet)
I have a Dual Xeon at ThePlanet it's awesome, 10k rpm scsi drives, 2gb ecc ram very fast.

What I learned was that even though the server is fast it really does take GOOD configurations (php, mysql, http) to make the server run optimally. I went from 2.x->4.x load down to under 1 when I had my server "tweaked".

James
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I can't stand running a server that's not Cpanel on Apache Linux.

How many sites are currently hosted on the server, Chris?

AndyH
01-14-2006, 11:42 PM
I forget but in WHM can you transfer form hsphere -->cpanel with the root account on hshpere?I just looked and no, hsphere isn't supported.

WHM 4.5+
Pre WHM 4.5
WebPanel
enXim
pXa (Pl*sk) 1.x, 2.x, 5.x, 6.x
ZerXex's dXm

edit: May aswell throw this question in here, how is the game coming along?

Chris
01-15-2006, 07:52 AM
I can't stand running a server that's not Cpanel on Apache Linux.

How many sites are currently hosted on the server, Chris?

WHM 4.5+
Pre WHM 4.5
WebPanel
enXim
pXa (Pl*sk) 1.x, 2.x, 5.x, 6.x
ZerXex's dXm

enXim is their way of saying Ensim isn't it?

Kyle
01-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Chris, how does security work when you have your own server?

For example, I wouldn't be comfortable securing my own box if it was a Unix OS (freebsd/linux/etc.).

Chris
01-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Well.. there are greater and lesser degrees of security.

You start with a good password, and also disabling root access through SSH (you login as admin first, then switch to root).

Then you make sure everything is up to date.

Then you install a firewall, and close off any unneeded ports.

You're then pretty good. You should also disable telnet and anonymous FTP, and for each individual website account only turn on features you need (don't provide email for a datafeed site for instance).

then you just want to maintain your updates, check logs if something is amiss, and use a rootkit hunter of some sort.

Cpanel makes it really easy to do most of this, especially updates. For the initial security setup I use http://www.ezsm.com its $150.

Mostly there is just a learning curve with learning how everything on linux works and your firewall and whatnot.

Kyle
01-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks, I should have been more specific. Your comment about cpanel being used to upgrade your software answered my question. I used to hack quite a bit in the late 90's when it was still cool to deface in the scene, which is why I'm not comfortable with relying on my abilities to secure a Unix system.

The New Guy
01-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Once everything works on Linux its easy. And often I find that setuping a server is way easier then setuping up linux as a desktop OS.

Blue Cat Buxton
01-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Then you install a firewall, and close off any unneeded ports.

Is that a harware or software firewall. If hardware, presumably the datacentre install it for you, for a charge?

MarkB
01-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Typically a software firewall (although if you're setting up a server farm, it might pay to have a hardware one at router level too?).