PDA

View Full Version : If you had to start over

asphalt
01-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Just a question for those who feel they have had good success in webpublishing, if you had to start completely over what would be the first project you would pursue, how long do you think it would take to get things moving again?

Chris
01-13-2006, 09:02 PM
interesting question... I'll have to think on it.

James
01-14-2006, 12:48 AM
I'd probably brainstorm on a blog which I could produce consistent content for, and enjoy running.

I'd also learn PHP, CSS and XHTML right off the bat.

Chris
01-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Would I have all the knowledge I have? Just no sites?

If so... then a webmaster site would probably be my first choice. Then a gardening site, though larger & more aggressively placed than my new blog.

asphalt
01-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah you would have the knowledge. You just wouldn't have any established sites. I was curious what kind of activities and sites would be top priority that first year.

chromate
01-14-2006, 10:50 AM
If so... then a webmaster site would probably be my first choice.

What, like this one? Why's that?

I would simply go for content sites with no gimmicks. Just good solid unique content that will stand the test of time and generate a consistent income stream for years to come. Use the money they generate to build more content sites, and use the money that they generate to build even more. Grow grow grow.

Eventually you'll have a mini empire of content sites receiving excellent traffic and generating income year after year. It only takes 10 sites generating $10 a day to generate an income of $36k/year. Build ten of those sites each year for 3 years, and there's your 6 figure salary. However, perhaps this makes it sound too easy. It would still be a lot of work to build sites on that level. This is actually what I'm doing now, except I already have sites which help to pay for building new sites.

Of course, this assumes the knowledge that I have now. If I was starting with no knowledge, then I would do a similar thing, but on a much smaller scale until I had a good understanding of what worked and what didn't.

MarkB
01-14-2006, 01:43 PM
I would've started those sites (and stuck with them) that I had ideas for 10 years ago. Dammit.

Chris
01-14-2006, 02:14 PM
What, like this one? Why's that?

Because I agree with you. I'd want to start out with good solid content sites that could stand the test of time and weather any algorithm changes. The two topics I know a lot about are gardening and webmastering. To have all the knowledge I have and not write about it would be a waste.

Chris
01-14-2006, 02:15 PM
I would've started those sites (and stuck with them) that I had ideas for 10 years ago. Dammit.

No kidding... I made my first website in 1994 using free space provided by my ISP. If I had known anything about hosting & domains and all that I could have made a site on nearly any topic and it'd be huge now. Hell I coulda bought a bunch of really nice domains.

s2kinteg916
01-14-2006, 05:53 PM
I didnt discover the internet till around 1998... that was my first mistake..

asphalt
01-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah I didn't discover the internet until about 1997, then it took a few years to even get started at all, then another 3 years learning and now I think this will be my first year that I accomplish some stuff.

Todd W
01-14-2006, 06:38 PM
I would have started the same way I did previously. Started with a topic I enjoyed, and new about. Then moving to more profitable ideas that took longer to develop.

When I was starting I needed web hosting so I think that's the biggest 'jump' for new people they aren't sure if their idea will take off, don't want to shell out $80 for a domain for a year, and $20/month for an "idea".

Now that hosting is TONS cheaper it's a lot easier for ANYONE to get strated, but you can't rattle off ideas w/new domains until you get your first server under your belt. After that you can start as many sites as you want for the simply the domain fee, so if it fails you are out your time and the domain for a year (if you can't resell it).

I`ve been making money online since the 90s but the above is directed towards web publishing. In the 90s it was all about 'paid to surf' and adult sites for me, and truth be told I was somewhat of a spammer back then.. really before it was against the law and before it got out of hand. Talk about controlling your income for the day.. "so how many e-mails we got today". LOL. (I was getting checks from adult companies as a freshmen in highschool, those were the days)

-Todd

Masetek
01-15-2006, 02:36 AM
I`ve been making money online since the 90s but the above is directed towards web publishing. In the 90s it was all about 'paid to surf' and adult sites for me, and truth be told I was somewhat of a spammer back then.. really before it was against the law and before it got out of hand. Talk about controlling your income for the day.. "so how many e-mails we got today". LOL. (I was getting checks from adult companies as a freshmen in highschool, those were the days)

-Todd

LOL

There are so many people that used to be in the adult world! I too used to a bit spammy with my adult sites, but everyone was. Did you ever have an CJ (circle jerk) sites? I had a few...they did really well too! but a lot has changed since those days. And back then the AUD was worth 48 USD cents so we were doing pretty well.

Back on the subject...

If I were to start over I would write myself a kick *** cms that can manage all my sites (Thats what I have now...sort of...) with 1 page. I would build all my knowledge into the cms so turning an idea into a fuly optimised SE friendly content site would be very fast.

James
01-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Masetek, that's my plan for my CIS245 (PHP) course at UCFV; a CMS to cover any future sites--I've been wanting to make one for something like 7 or 8 years, so I figure it's the perfect (and oh-so-timely) time.

marcel
01-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Would I have all the knowledge I have? Just no sites?

If so... then a webmaster site would probably be my first choice. Then a gardening site, though larger & more aggressively placed than my new blog.

Chris, what's is your blog ?

Chris
01-16-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.gardeningblog.net

AndyH
01-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Knowing what I do now about what I do, I could be back making a good profit after a few months where as it took me a few years.

Luke
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
A free forum or website hosting service.

Snowballer
01-18-2006, 09:18 PM
basically pretend you are sitting at your screen ten years from now and do NOW what you would have hoped you'd done then (in the future) hehe.

chromate
01-20-2006, 05:11 AM
basically pretend you are sitting at your screen ten years from now and do NOW what you would have hoped you'd done then (in the future) hehe.

Good bit of advice!

WebairGerard
02-16-2006, 02:07 PM
I would pay more attention in school!! :)