PDA

View Full Version : Linking between Posts

Dural
01-13-2006, 10:17 AM
From a search engine standpoint, is there anything wrong with linking between posts? I'm thinking about manually turning some key phrases in each of my posts into links to other posts, so I can help visitors move through the site. I'd also like to increase PR to certain pages that have a good chance of getting a good search engine ranking. But is that going to hurt me in anyway?

r2d2
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I can't see why it would hurt you - why would you think it would?

Dural
01-13-2006, 11:58 AM
I just don't want the search engine to flag me for over optimizing. For example, I might have 10 links in each article to other posts and categories, using carefully planned anchor text.

r2d2
01-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I should think it would be fine. If you think about your menu, presumably that is the same on every page linking to the same pages with the same anchor text.

Also, if your intent is to benefit users, it shouldn't harm your SERPs.

ozgression
01-13-2006, 05:56 PM
It may look a little spammy, but you shouldn't be penalized for it.

Kyle
01-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Dural, it sounds pretty safe to me, and useful.
Maybe show us an example once it's online to offer better advice.

chromate
01-14-2006, 09:45 AM
There shouldn't be anything wrong with that at all. As r2d2 said, it's really no different to a menu being on every page.

It's actually a very good navigation technique, and it's something that I'm going to use in my article mananager I'm building. An article will be associated with some keywords and then if those keywords appear in other articles on the site, they will automatically be linked to the related article.

Go for it.

ozgression
01-14-2006, 11:54 PM
An article will be associated with some keywords and then if those keywords appear in other articles on the site, they will automatically be linked to the related article.

Yeah, wordpress has something similar...

BTW, in my post above I was spose to write shouldn't (edited now). :)

Todd W
01-15-2006, 12:16 AM
I think its pretty darn safe if not 100% safe if the domain is the same but as soon as you start doing it to another domain it may cause some issues.. That's just my opinion.

(I do this for some of my sites automaticaly with a script I wrote. And have seen nothing bad come of it.)

Masetek
01-15-2006, 02:29 AM
It would be fine because is some cases you may need to interlink your posts (for more info on a subject etc) so theres no way they can penalize you for natural linking to your own information to help the visitor find what they want.