PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to market...

Sean
01-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Inspired by a PM, I decided that I should go about actively marketing.

The problem is I don't know where to advertise. Obviously the main target would be search engine savvy webmasters, but I think I need more blog-like webmasters as the buttons would be "tacky" (like hit counters) for most sites. I need to find a site/medium that has this audience.

I'll probably spend about $20-$75 to test the waters, so keep this budget in mind.

Any other tips or advice you have would be greatly appreciated as I don't have any marketing experience.

Thanks in advance.

James
01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
You'd be surprised. I'd suggest that you create a lot more variations on the current buttons, with different colors and shapes and sizes; websites like http://hicksdesign.co.uk make use of these buttons--he uses custom ones, but the idea is that he has those buttons there at all. Also, many webmasters don't even know what services to use to check pagerank and are confused by the whole idea; they may not have tacky sites or be new to the game, but they might be new to PageRank and Google SEO; therefore, my suggestion is that you also put an explanation of PageRank up on your website, that being one of your target audiences.

s2kinteg916
01-04-2006, 09:05 AM
savvy webmasters would know not to display useless pagerank information as well as link out... for no apparent reason.

Go with another market/business plan ...

Sean
01-04-2006, 09:32 AM
You'd be surprised. I'd suggest that you create a lot more variations on the current buttons, with different colors and shapes and sizes; websites like http://hicksdesign.co.uk make use of these buttons--he uses custom ones, but the idea is that he has those buttons there at all. Also, many webmasters don't even know what services to use to check pagerank and are confused by the whole idea; they may not have tacky sites or be new to the game, but they might be new to PageRank and Google SEO; therefore, my suggestion is that you also put an explanation of PageRank up on your website, that being one of your target audiences.

Thanks for the ideas, the explanation could also help maybe bring in some search engine traffic. Not sure what you mean by shapes and sizes on the buttons though. Like a triangle or something? heh. I could do the buttons in different colors.

savvy webmasters would know not to display useless pagerank information as well as link out... for no apparent reason.

Go with another market/business plan ...

I think savvy was the wrong word, I should have said search engine aware or something. What I meant was that they knew what pagerank was. Savvy I guess implies like shrewdness (sorry for the confusion). This is really the problem I'm having though... finding a target which is aware of pagerank but doesn't care about giving up the link. Based on who uses the buttons other sites offer, I'd say bloggers would be the main target, but I'm not really sure how(where) to market to them.

James
01-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of pill-shaped, a circle with a square going out the side of it--but I'd be interested in seeing a well-done triangle image.

Sean
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of pill-shaped, a circle with a square going out the side of it--but I'd be interested in seeing a well-done triangle image.

Yeah, I was sort of just kidding, but now that you mention it a triangle would be interesting heh.

Kyle
01-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Blogs are definitely a place to start.
What about spending a lot of time just randomly contacting people? Sending personal emails to different blog owners just letting them know you exist.

Most commercial webmasters may not be interested, but I'd imagine plenty of people who would just because it looks cool/neat.

James
01-04-2006, 11:42 PM
I love getting spammed with people asking me about their services! ;)

You may want to start reading lots of blogs; I often look at the people who are commenting on my blog's sites--unless it's crappy spam; especially "HAY I REALZLY LIKE UR SITE LOL!!".