PDA

View Full Version : blog or forum?

deronsizemore
01-02-2006, 09:41 PM
I've got a few sites in mind I'd like to eventually start and I'm wondering if you think a blog or a forum would be better? Which typically generates more money?

I'm open for any suggestions.

Cutter
01-02-2006, 10:55 PM
I think that the answer really depends on your market and who you are competing against. I see both as building blocks toward creating successful megasites.

Take Sitepoint for example, its composed of both a forum, blogs, and tons of content.

I would focus on building a traffic source through a content site first, and then filter than traffic to either a blog or forum. I would actually do both (and I do.)

deronsizemore
01-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Never really thought of it like that. Good advice! I get in little kicks where for some reason I think it has to be one or the other...stupid me! lol

aeroguy
03-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Isnt "Sitepoint" a banned word ;)

MikeD
03-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Isnt "Sitepoint" a banned word ;)
Shouldn't be, it serves well for research ...

etech-martin
03-07-2006, 06:13 AM
A forum or a blog, whatever you choose it's not easy to get traffic to them and get them going. First select a good name which has potential to generate traffic. Then decide for the content and topic. Once you get substantial traffic, you can place ads and generate some income.

Chris
03-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Blogs are linkbait. I cannot believe how easy it is to build backlinks to a blog. They're also easy to start.

Forums are hard to start, but eventually you'll be able to stop posting as much and they'll continue to grow... try that with a blog.