PDA

View Full Version : How did you guys start?

Ben
01-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Hi,

I am wondering what got you guys interested in web business? Did you start with a site and start to earn a little bit of money from it, get interested and keep going? Or did you hear success stories from people who are earning a hell of a lot of money online? I would like to know because I am looking for some inspiration as I have hit a rough spot in getting my site up and ready.

Regards
Ben

Masetek
01-01-2006, 03:28 AM
Used to work in web development and got sick of programming for other people.. (pubishing is way more rewarding, interesting and profitabe!)

Sean
01-01-2006, 04:05 AM
I started around 1998-99 making sites for different hobbies I had. I usually made them with the homestead WYSIWYG editor and they didn't usually last long.

Around 2000-01 I made a new site for a hobby but with html and frames (eventually SSI)... this site lasted for I think a month or two but then I stopped with that hobby.

I don't remember when I figured out that you could actually make money from ads on content sites, but since then I always planned on making a site for whatever hobby I was currently into... I never did.

A year or two ago I stared reading about real estate investing and started to really understand cashflow/passive income. I noticed that website publishing and real estate weren't all that different except that website publishing was "easier".

I got really into web publishing as a source of income and started to just read everything I could about it on the different forums. I decided save up money and wait until I was 18 to actually start so I could sign up for different sites etc. without parental consent.

I turned 18 in October 2005 and got myself a checking account with debit card and a hosting plan.

It's been about 2-3 months, I've got 4 (3 small, 1 medium) sites up so far and am working on several more (a couple biggins).

I don't think this will inspire you... but you asked, heh.

Ben
01-01-2006, 04:14 AM
I don't think this will inspire you... but you asked, heh.
Anything is inspirational at the moment. I would really like to know how Chris started, care to share your story Chris?

Chris
01-01-2006, 08:13 AM
http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3702

Cutter
01-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I've been on the web since 1995 or 1996, online with bulletin boards and other systems years before that too.

What got me started is someone in a forum asked about advertising for his website. I said, well this isn't banner advertising, but there is this program Google runs called Adsense which you might want to check out. Less than 24 hours later he responded that he put it on his site and had already made over $100. After that, I knew what I had to do and I've been working non stop ever since ;)

tony
01-01-2006, 04:34 PM
i started about 4 years ago in college, my 1st site was free hosting with 50mb space and 100mb bandwidth i got it to pr4 and earnt a fair bit from it then my host went bust and i just left the site since then ive made a few sites got them indexed and sold them on and now im working on my biggest project and im gonna keep hold of it once its done

Ben
01-01-2006, 09:50 PM
http://www.websitepublisher.net/for...read.php?t=3702
Thanks for that Chris

James
01-02-2006, 12:13 AM
I just randomly decided to make a site when I was 8. I didn't start making sites that were reasonable quality until just a short while ago, though--the result of it being a hobby, and my lack of the ability to research.

If you're having trouble getting started, take a short break from making sites, or research stuff. If you've got a hobby, research into it, get better and more knowledgeable at it, and you may just find that it's the ideal site opportunity for you.

mini
01-02-2006, 11:06 PM
3 years ago, My boyfriend, my friend and I started by accepting a small job to build a site for a weight loss company who'd like to build a forum for his existing weight loss clients to collaborate online and to promote his business.

Then we came in to a joint venture of building the forum for free while we can put our advertisement on our web design business. Then we played around by putting other ad networks and earn only 65 cents a year. Seeing the potentials, we convinced our client to give up the forum since he didn't really touch it and we keep it.

My boyfriend SEO-ed it (learning from his master Chris :), while we assisted by becoming fake members to promote the forum and got some friends to help us do some postings. After 1.5 years, the site earned us quite a decent amount of money. We remembered jumping up and down on the day which we earned USD$4/day knowing the previous month the forum only earned us 30 cents :D!

From there, we worked on the site, makes it nicer and manageable. It grew exponentially from there. Then my boyfriend built more personal sites and went full time on website publishing giving up his old job. My friend and I still work fulltime for a company while we still share the money we earn from the forum. Web publishing is not for everyone to work full time on. I tried working full time for a while, I didn't last 1 week. The fact that you work by yourself - no interaction with other people or travelling like my current job. With any jobs, you need to like it to do it :). However, my boyfriend loves web publishings, he's got online friends, office politics and office christmas party with our dog at home hehe...

thebillionaire
01-03-2006, 12:04 AM
I started back in grade 5, at 10 years of age. It wasn't much, as a matter a fact it wasn't anything but a few banner ads; I used homestead when it was free. Later that year my friend, told me about frontpage, I built another crappy site but this time with content, Dragon Ball Z. Grade 6 and 7 I did nothing. In grade 8 I went to my friends house and saw him using Flash, a simple animation of a circle moving from one end to another, after that moment I borrowed his flash and started to learn. In grade 9 my uncle calls and randomly ask's me if I wanted a web hosted, I said sure and got a crappy host, with a .com domain. for 9 months, I just made it into a portfolio. Then I started to ActionScrit and started making flash games, at that point I decided to make a game site, but my yearly subscription ended, and I just left it. last year I started hanging around websitepublisher and realised there was good money in websites, so I started freelancing to save up enough money to start my site, after making enough I launched my site, and eventually started making some money, my site has only been online for a few months but its going good.