PDA

View Full Version : Renting an Office

Todd W
12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Does anyone here rent an office?

Do you find you are more efficient working away from home?

-Todd

James
12-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Personally, I think owning an office if you're just doing something like running some websites is a bit redundant unless you've got a couple of employees, or need to store stuff.

Todd W
12-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Personally, I think owning an office if you're just doing something like running some websites is a bit redundant unless you've got a couple of employees, or need to store stuff.

From what i`ve read studys show the MAJORITY of people are more efficient *read: work more* when away from their home. So I`m wanting some first hand expierence with this from people who had trouble working from home did the office help?

Another perk of an office is like you said someplace for an employee to come in and work which is always nice...

Anyone?

chromate
12-29-2005, 07:51 AM
I've often thought about this with regards to ecommerce. I don't really want to ship / accept returns from my house. It would obviously also look more professional if meetings were needed with suppliers / accountants etc. Also, I don't fancy having a VAT (uk tax) inspector showing up at my house un-announced. So an office is definitely something to consider if I ever get an ecommerce store up and running.

As for working more efficiently, I would think working away from home would definitely make it easier to focus. Less destraction. But it probably depends on the individual. Having an office and "going into work" each day might help you to treat things more as a serious business. It sometimes feels like this is too much of a hobby, at least to me. :)

Cutter
12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
When I'm home I can, and do, work any time of the day or night. I think if you start bringing on employees (that aren't outsourced) getting an office is a must. If you are in a service business, such as a web designer, again, an office is a must.

Does home office really equal less money? As long as you are able to focus, I don't think so.

Todd W
12-29-2005, 11:41 AM
[A]s for working more efficiently, I would think working away from home would definitely make it easier to focus. Less destraction. But it probably depends on the individual. Having an office and "going into work" each day might help you to treat things more as a serious business. It sometimes feels like this is too much of a hobby, at least to me. :)

That's how I feel too, no matter how much I`m making it feels very much like a hobby. Something I do when I want, and even then sometimes I get distracted and don't do it. With an office I would probably realize I`m here, I must do work now, and then I get to go home and not work and have fun. A sense of accomplishment from getting work DONE at the office, and then being able to reward myself (go home) when the task is done.

Like Cutter said, if you can focus at home and don't see another need for an office there wouldn't be a point.

$1.5 to $2.0 sq.ft is the going rate for office space around here, and currently I have approx. 165 sq.ft and am out of room. I do have 3 computers and don't use them all but in the office I would want alteast 1other computer and a print/fax/network "station". I think for myself 200sq.ft to 300sq.ft would be perfect.

Blue Cat Buxton
12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
$1.5 to $2.0 sq.ft is the going rate for office space around here,
For what period?

moonshield
12-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Those rates sounds reasonable. Where I live the office space rent rates are at about $20 for Class A (the majority of the office space is around here is Class A). and goes to about $12.00 in the less deseriable parts of town. These numbers are considered very cheap among large cities.

I can see the benefit of an office for meeting clients but since I don't do that very often it would make little sense for me.

Chris
12-29-2005, 03:11 PM
You need a warehouse for ecommerce, not an office. You can build a little cubicle office in the warehouse but you'll be running out of room (and paying an unnecessary premium) if you fill up a bunch of office space with boxes/storage.

chromate
12-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Well a warehouse could be overkill depending on what the product is. My girlfriend's dad had an office "premises" consisting of a few rooms in a converted house that would be perfect for selling small goods from. I mean, if you're selling diamond rings for example, then a warehouse is probably going to be a bit big.

Todd W
12-29-2005, 04:32 PM
You need a warehouse for ecommerce, not an office. You can build a little cubicle office in the warehouse but you'll be running out of room (and paying an unnecessary premium) if you fill up a bunch of office space with boxes/storage.

I`m also looking for a "warehouse" (industrial zoned) with retail/office inside because I need to get my jeeps/buggys and tools out of the garage.. no room to work so a spot for my hobby, and work would be nice. I`m discussing this with friends also interested in sharing warehouse/work area. But that would be like having a roomate and all those hassles again :-/.

Around here warehouse/industrial zone go for .50 to $1.25 sq/ft depending on location. Problem is most are 3,000sq.ft. as the smaller ones are taken up :(

I found a nice industrial zoned warehouse 3400sqft + 1600sq ft of office on 2 fenced acres for around $3,000 a month. A lot of $ to get into but a LOT of storage space and land to use.

MarkB
12-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Considering how inexpensive serviced offices are, it makes sense if you want to have that seperation of home & work. I would look into it if I were doing this fulltime and wanted to dedicated a set number of hours per day (but only if I had clients and/or suppliers, otherwise I'd do most of it from the beach or the hilltop of a farm :))

Todd W
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
I spoke to someone in business for themselves (non ad) and come to find out there's an industrial workyard/warehouse available about 5 minutes from my house. He said he thinks there's possibly an office already inside too. Not only that but he's interestedin renting some space from inside to store some of his products. May work out nice :)

I`ll keep you guys posted.

-Todd