PDA

View Full Version : Database source?

Dan Morgan
12-28-2005, 05:01 AM
Anyone got any links for sites that allow you to purchase databases of various content (lyrics, wifi hotspots etc)?

There are various bits and bobs for sale across the marketplaces of the usual forum haunts, but as yet I have not come across a good single point of reference.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan Morgan
01-12-2006, 05:12 AM
No-one?

Avix
01-12-2006, 06:31 AM
That would make a very good website, only problem is putting together the databases without breaking copyright laws :confused:

Dan Morgan
01-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Good point.

Where do these databases start life though? I find it hard to believe the lyric, game cheat, and myriad of other databases originate from 1 persons graft and distribution.

For example, if I wanted to start a lyrics site, where would I go?

Cheers,

Dan

r2d2
01-12-2006, 02:09 PM
You don't want to start a lyrics site - they were in the news a couple of months ago, getting shut down by music companies.

Some lyrics sites though seem to have lyrics added by users.

James
01-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Yep, and they're allllllways wrong lyrics added by users.

There are 0.0001% of lyrics sites with original content taken from artists' websites, CD booklets, etc. and the rest all copy them. But yes, there are quite a few that have user input.

Dan Morgan
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
I don't want to start a lyrics site :)

But, I would like to know places that databases like that are distributed from. I see people on here, SP, NP, DP ect all offering things like this from time to tim ein limited numbers but never from one centralised source.

I saw a guy offering a wireless hot spot website and database in the forums the other day - that sort of thing.

Cheers

Chris
01-13-2006, 07:31 AM
the problem with selling databases is it'd make it very easy to duplicate your site. The only database I would consider selling would be my quotations one.

Dan Morgan
01-13-2006, 01:54 PM
the problem with selling databases is it'd make it very easy to duplicate your site. The only database I would consider selling would be my quotations one.

Thats correct, however I am more talking about people who would compile information into database form, in order to monetize it via selling the database (multiple times) rather than create and promote their own sites based on that data.

mark1
01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Is this what you are looking for?A friend of mine used their service and was positively impressed .

http://www.odditysoftware.com/page-webcontentdata.htm

Hi Folks :p

ozgression
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi mark1 :)

Dan Morgan
01-14-2006, 04:11 AM
Is this what you are looking for?A friend of mine used their service and was positively impressed .

http://www.odditysoftware.com/page-webcontentdata.htm

Hi Folks :p

Bingo - I have stumbled on that site before and could not find it again. but thats exactly the type of thing I am looking for.

Chris
01-14-2006, 07:06 AM
HEh... all those databases for cheap... I might buy a couple to make a site off of.

My price for my quotes database (which is 4x larger than theirs) woulda been 1k.

chromate
01-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Wow, that's an awesome site. I'm tempted to use some of those databases. Problem is it goes against my new working ideal of only creating unique sites for the long term. Still maybe a couple of database driven sites wouldn't hurt ;) haha

SWD
01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
interesting db in here.. hehe

Mike
01-14-2006, 11:32 AM
That's a great site, cheers mark1 :)