PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem

Doug
12-26-2005, 11:17 AM
I started working on a site about 2 months ago then put it on hold until I was on Christmas break from college. Well it is now Christmas break and for some reason when I go to the site I get a 404 error. It worked before when I was working on it. I still have the hosting and the domain name assigned to the host. I am trying to avoid calling godaddy at all costs as I've heard horror stories about their tech support. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Doug
12-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Alright, so I am making progress. My index page was index.php because I had php on the page. I renamed it to index.html just to see and it worked minus the menu that I had in php. The problem is I know it worked with .php a couple months ago so I am still stumped.

LuckyShima
12-26-2005, 11:49 AM
404 = file not found.

Load the original index.php file and see if it work, or load one of your other index pages. When you call it, don't just use the directory name, use the complete string including the correct extension, e.g. www.yourdoman.com/index.php

Also, you can't just rename a 'php' file 'html' and expect it to work, although you should get something displayed besidesa 404.

Doug
12-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Right, I understand it wouldn't work. What happens is my menu won't work if it is 'html' which is expected because that is my php code. I also know 404 is not found but I can't figure out why it isn't found. I know it worked when I left it two months ago. Something has changed since then and I didn't do it.

I tried what you said with the complete string and it still didn't work. I did some looking into my hosting plan though and I have a feeling that godaddy made it so you have to have the next up hosting plan in order to use php. My package now says I have asp and I know i picked php. I went through another hosting set up just to see and it doesn't even give me the option anymore. If this is true then I am moving everything I have with them to someone else because that would really tick me off.