PDA

View Full Version : Bulk discount from Dell?

Westech
12-21-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm in the process of setting up a new office and replacing some equipment that was stolen in a burglary. I'll be spending a lot of money all at once on computer equipment. I prefer to order from Dell, but I'm open to other quality suggestions if I can get a decent discount for spending a lot all at once.

Does anyone know if Dell or any other major manufacturers give discounts for large purchases?

Do any of you people with coupon sites know of any current deals that might help me out?

Here's what I'm buying:

High-end PC (Probably XPS or Precision with RAID, extra RAM, etc.)
2x 19" LCD monitors
Mid-quality laptop
Laser printer

I also need a new PDA and a UPS, so I may include these in this purchase too if the price is right.

I'm estimating that I'll be spending around $4500 for all of this. Any suggestions on coupons to use or where to find the best deal?

Blue Cat Buxton
12-21-2005, 08:56 AM
I have got discounts from Dell in the past, but that was Dell UK, and based on about 6 laptops over 6 months, It never hurts to ask!

Chris
12-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't think your volume is going to be large enough for a personal discount.

Todd W
12-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm in the process of setting up a new office and replacing some equipment that was stolen in a burglary. I'll be spending a lot of money all at once on computer equipment. I prefer to order from Dell, but I'm open to other quality suggestions if I can get a decent discount for spending a lot all at once.

Does anyone know if Dell or any other major manufacturers give discounts for large purchases?

Do any of you people with coupon sites know of any current deals that might help me out?

Here's what I'm buying:

High-end PC (Probably XPS or Precision with RAID, extra RAM, etc.)
2x 19" LCD monitors
Mid-quality laptop
Laser printer

I also need a new PDA and a UPS, so I may include these in this purchase too if the price is right.

I'm estimating that I'll be spending around $4500 for all of this. Any suggestions on coupons to use or where to find the best deal?

You can get discounts, but your order probably doesn't qualify.
The office I worked at a couple years ago went through dell and had their own rep, and got discount but were talking 20+ new computers at once. (This isn't even a lot to Dell, I know they have Schools, and other offices that do 100+ and more.)

Westech
12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I guess that from Dell's point of view this isn't such a big order. Anyone know of any current or upcoming coupon codes that might help? C'mon Chris, I know you're sitting on a new coupon for 20% off on orders of $5000+ ! ;)

Chris
12-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Some nice laptop coupons right now, no desktop ones though and no monitor ones.

If I were you I'd wait until after Christmas, there are usually some nice sales then.

Westech
12-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Darn, I wanted to get it in on this tax year. If all of the good sales are after Christmas then I guess maybe I should wait.... Thanks anyway.

Chris
12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
There is a week between Christmas & New Years.

Ideally you'll want to place your order like Dec 30th.

Westech
12-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Cool. Thanks for the advice. That's probably what I'll do. In the meantime, if anyone sees any good coupons or sales out there, please let me know!

Todd W
12-21-2005, 03:37 PM
I watch hardforum.com for good deals :)

Gonna be getting myself another 20" Dell LCD when they go on sale.

AndyH
12-21-2005, 08:21 PM
I want a 30" Dell LCD once they release them.

Westech
12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
The 20 inch wide-aspect flatpanel is on sale now for 20% off (sale ends today.) http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/promo.aspx/fy06%2fq4wk8_snp_monitors?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

James
12-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I want a 30" Dell LCD once they release them.At that point, I figure why not just buy a TV :P

Todd W
12-22-2005, 02:13 AM
At that point, I figure why not just buy a TV :P

Resolution.

AndyH
12-22-2005, 04:08 AM
At that point, I figure why not just buy a TV :P
Well, when I had my comp hooked up to my plasma it was unusable. I may have had settings wrong though. Also, it was a while ago and I don't think I used DVI.

30" comp screen would be massive, even my 22" is big to me.

Chris
12-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Would an HDTV have a good enough resolution? I haven't tried hooking my PC up to my 32" LCDTV but I think it has a DVI input, so I'd guess it should work.... wouldn't that be something...

James
12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
While a bit blurry, I've hooked a computer up to a 56'' TV and it wasn't all that bad. I figure that in the last few years they could have improved the technology to get rid of that blur.

Chris
12-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Its just a pixel thing James. TVs & Monitors have different pixel sizes or whatever.

Sean
12-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, basically TVs are designed to be veiwed from a distance with less detail while monitors are designed to be viewed up close with more detail (1 pixel-thick letters etc.)

/takes off captain obvious suit and gets back to work.

James
12-23-2005, 04:34 AM
Right, forgot about how TVs are measured in lines whereas computers are measured in per-pixel style.

chromate
12-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I bought a Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen about a week back to replace my 17" CRT. I have to say, it's AWESOME! So consider spending a bit more and getting one instead of the 20" if you can stretch to that. I would say it's well worth the extra.

It's amazing how quickly you adapt to working with the extra screen space. I think I would find going back to a smaller screen quite restrictive. I don't think I need anything bigger than this now. Anything bigger might just leave me with surplus screen space. It's also a bit like a wall of light, so any bigger might be a bit hard on the eyes.

Anyway, I highly recommend this monitor. I might even get another one for my girlfriend who does graphic design. She loves it.

r2d2
12-24-2005, 10:59 AM
I bought a Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen about a week back to replace my 17" CRT.

Nice! What resolution does this run at?

chromate
12-24-2005, 05:09 PM
1920 x 1200

Todd W
12-24-2005, 05:53 PM
So tempting.. I think i`ll liek the dual 20.1" better though

James
12-24-2005, 10:56 PM
It'd be more tempting if it wasn't so damn expensive.

I can only see myself moving up to triple 19''s or something along those lines. Maybe more if I were more into 3D stuff.

What do you guys use your computers for that you'd need such big screens? As far as I've seen and heard, you'd really only need screens that big for gaming, or 3D stuff, high-resolution graphic design, etc. rather than browsing and website creation.

Todd W
12-25-2005, 02:41 AM
It'd be more tempting if it wasn't so damn expensive.

I can only see myself moving up to triple 19''s or something along those lines. Maybe more if I were more into 3D stuff.

What do you guys use your computers for that you'd need such big screens? As far as I've seen and heard, you'd really only need screens that big for gaming, or 3D stuff, high-resolution graphic design, etc. rather than browsing and website creation.

2 Screens.
1 for coding 1 for preview.
Or combine the 2 for 1 large one for not haivng to scroll all the way over for code. Saves a lot of time ith 2 screens or having a bigger 1.

I think I like 2 better, 1 for testing, 1 for coding/work/chat.
Basicaly 1 dedicated to another INternet Window.

chromate
12-26-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't *need* a big screen. But it's just nice to have the extra space. :) Having 2 windows side by side is handy in a lot of instances. Check ebay instead of buying direct from Dell.

James
12-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Future Shop is having a week-long boxing day sale; I may head over there and pick up an LCD screen and some RAM if the prices are good enough (note that I'm poor unlike you rich ol' gits and your 24'' screens... ;))