PDA

View Full Version : So My Forum Was Hacked

Doug
12-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Well, I had all but forgotten about my Halo 2 Hints site. I actually going to cancel the hosting soon but I checked it the other day and it seems the forum was hacked. There was hardly any activity anyway but I just don't understand the point. Did thay hack it just to show they could? It's people like that that really piss me off.

Ben
12-20-2005, 10:59 PM
People do it because it is either a bustling community and they want to bring it down or they just don't like the place

Masetek
12-21-2005, 01:30 AM
define "hacked" what did they do?

Doug
12-21-2005, 02:30 AM
They messed everything up. If you want to check it out just go to www.halo2hints.com and click on the forum thing. Be careful though, I have a download accelerator that asks me whenever something tries to download and something tries to download when I look at the forum.

MarkB
12-21-2005, 03:58 AM
PHPBB forums (especially ones left dormant:)) are prone to hacking attempts, due to a security flaw (which was patched months ago, but older installations are still being targetted).

Chris
12-21-2005, 06:32 AM
phpbb, the most hacked software on the internet.

Its not really hacking either. Someone who initially finds the security flaw could be called a hacker, the people who read how to do it on some hacker board are just script kiddies.

Cutter
12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Did you have the latest version installed?

I had a phpBB I started over a year ago which I believed was hacked. It was a low activity board so I didn't check it often. Logged in one day and it was messed up.

I back up my databases regularly now.

Doug
12-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Yea, this version is about a year old. That's exactly what happened to this one, it's all messed up. It isn't really any major loss or anything, I just don't understand the fun in doing that to someone.