PDA

View Full Version : How do you?

Ben
12-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum so I was unsure where to post this. Anyway let me proceed. I am looking to develop a lot of mini sites as I have a few domain names and a lot of spare time. So I am wondering how would you develop a small mini site, earning about $1 a day, how would you go about it? I mean I have tried in the past and have ended up having to either give up, or do everything myself (no professional help, even though I would pay). Nobody seems to want to help out me. So how do you go about it? Do you use PHP and code it yourself? or do you have it with HTML and then just update it yourself? I am new to this whole thing and just needed some advice

Masetek
12-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Not that I recommend it for expenienced developers, but a good start would be getting Dreamweaver and start learning how to build sites. Don't worry about PHP for now, just focus on how to make a site in dreamweaver and publish it online. There are thousands of dreamweaver tutorials out there, just google it. Once you have got the website development sorted with dreamweaver, post back here and we'll talk about writing some content and adding ads to it etc :)

Ben
12-20-2005, 10:03 PM
I already know how to create websites, my first site was a portfolio type thing, illusiondesigns.org and I have a few others in the likes of www.moozica.com and a few other domain names. I am just wondering how you guys do it, because I know how to code in PHP and design webpages. I was just wondering how you professionals do it

ozgression
12-20-2005, 10:10 PM
My advice is to take it one site at a time.

Ben
12-20-2005, 10:15 PM
My advice is to take it one site at a time.
Yes I agree, but I would like to know how you guys do it. Whether you guys update manually (HTML) or update dynamically (PHP). Because I am sick and tired of coding a ton of code for one site and then another bunch of code for another site

r2d2
12-21-2005, 01:00 AM
When you talk about 'updating', what exactly are you refering to?

I use PHP, and obviously HTML - its not really a case of using one or the other...?

Maybe you should setup a template, that contains all the layout HTML & CSS, then you can quickly add headers, and change colors to form a new site.

Masetek
12-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Maybe you should setup a template, that contains all the layout HTML & CSS, then you can quickly add headers, and change colors to form a new site.

That's pretty much what I do. Have a "standard" template in which I can insert headers and menus. And I have a sepeate CMS that's runs all those template sites. All I have to do is add the new site to my cms and start writing articles. I use the same db for multiple sites (being on the same server) so I dont have to worry about setting up tables etc.

But, I have spend hous making this system, it's by no means a quick fix. Its going to save me hours and hours of time in future but Ive had to invest a lot of programming time into it.

Oh and 1 more thing. Most of the pages of my site are stored in the database and formatted dynamically using PHP.

Cutter
12-21-2005, 12:06 PM
If you want mini sites making a $1 a day each, here is what I'd do.. Find some decent paying keywords, write about 10-15 pages of content per site each targetted toward keyphrase searches in that topic. Get some prominant links for good sites, on or off topic. You should be able to rank for some terms in MSN, maybe Yahoo, probably nothing from Google. Long term, you'll be in a bad position, but short term you should be able to make a little extra cash.

materix
12-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi Cutter.

Where can one find information about how much different keywords are paying?

Cutter
12-21-2005, 07:19 PM
You can get a rough idea here:
http://uv.bidtool.overture.com/d/search/tools/bidtool/

Ben
12-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for that information guys. Now all I have to do is find someone who is willing to give up some server space, yippee

Cutter
12-21-2005, 10:25 PM
You should be able to find a good virtual hosting plan for under $10 a month, try looking around here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

Ben
12-21-2005, 11:14 PM
thanks heaps Cutter