PDA

View Full Version : Can my ISP really do this?

deronsizemore
12-20-2005, 07:16 AM
I just recieved an email today saying my account would be blocked if action was not taken. They said basically according to their usage policy that you cannot run a server because of load on their network. I have an apache server installed to test PHP scripts, and it's flippin' been installed for almost a year now and they are just now catching it?

I'm about to call and go off on someone!

chrispian
12-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Yes, of course they can. Take the server OFF the INTERNET and put it on your lan only. Problem solved.

MarkB
12-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Most ISPs have usage policies stating that servers are not allowed to be run off their network unless you have a business connection. Whether they notice you're running one immediately, or a year later, is irrelevant - if you're acting against the terms in your usage agreement, then they are well within their rights to close your account.

If it's only for testing, then close the ports used to access it so you can only access it locally.

deronsizemore
12-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Okay, thanks MarkB and Chrispian. Can either of you explain how to close the ports so I can only access it locally? I googled, but nothing really came up that pertained to what I want to do...or at least I don't think so. I'm pretty new with apache and php stuff if you couldn't tell already.