PDA

View Full Version : Beating a PR 6 Site on Google

Dural
12-16-2005, 08:59 AM
My goal for next year is to go number one for my keyword on Google. I've included my strategy below. If anyone could give me a critique, I would sure appreciate it.

(I know it would be easier if I gave you the keyword and site address, but I'm just not that trusting)

Strategy #1: Write Lots of Optimized Content

So far, I've written about 20 articles that are between 500 and 750 words. Each of them are optimized for certain keywords and linked together where appropriate, using the hub and spoke method. I plan to write at least one article per day and possibly hire some writers to write more.

I see this as the major vulnerability for the site I'm competing against. None of its pages are optimized at all.

Strategy #2: Build Lots of Back Links

The PR 6 site only shows about 1000 incoming links. Almost all of them are from internal pages, such as their forums. They are not in any directories (not even dmoz!), nor have they submitted any articles to other sites. In fact, most of their articles are copied from the sites of other gurus.

My plan is to:

1) Write one article per week that I will manually submit to article sites and about 200 active ezines in my niche
2) Write and pay for two press releases per month on PRWeb
3) Manually submit my site to about 100 directories

Strategy #3: Buy a Couple of Text Ads

I'm thinking about buying a couple of text ads from high PR sites closely related to my niche. I know not to expect miracles, but if it can get me indexed faster and give me that initial PR boost, then it's probably worth it for a couple of months.

Shawn
12-16-2005, 09:29 AM
I like the idea of daily content. Yum, good. Google likes that.

The press release idea is great. I have nothing but good things to say about PRWeb.com -- the publicity enough alone is worth it. My client was interviewed by a local television station Tuesday and the segment aired that night.

Dural
12-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Have you seen many back links from their press releases?

peach
12-16-2005, 04:09 PM
you can't really generalise pagerank 6 sites though.

James
12-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Peach, would you please clarify your meaning?

Kyle
12-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Peach was saying you can't generalize PR6 sites into one group.
You can't say.. "because I beat this PR6 site in the rankings, that means I can beat another PR6 site using the same practices".

Especially with Google placing much less emphasis on pagerank these days.

It seems as long as you have a PR5, you have the potential to be #1. Then its all about quality incoming links (and continuing to get incoming links), and regular updating.

Peach - sorry for speaking for you if I was totally off on what you meant! :)

Todd W
12-17-2005, 02:51 PM
I have a PR6 and PR5 site that are not on page 1.

Page1 is full of sites that are < PR5 this tells me the linking site relativity is VERY important to your site.

I`m working on getting/making related sites/links to see if I can improve my SERPs.

r2d2
12-18-2005, 02:36 PM
It really depends on the keyword(s) as much as the PR of the site as well I think.

peach
12-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Peach was saying you can't generalize PR6 sites into one group.
You can't say.. "because I beat this PR6 site in the rankings, that means I can beat another PR6 site using the same practices".

Especially with Google placing much less emphasis on pagerank these days.

It seems as long as you have a PR5, you have the potential to be #1. Then its all about quality incoming links (and continuing to get incoming links), and regular updating.

Peach - sorry for speaking for you if I was totally off on what you meant! :)
no problem m8, you were right on!.

I would like to add to that, by saying that if both your and my site are about webdesign, and we're both PR6, that doesn't mean we are going to rank the same.

And I'm not talking about the fact that toolbar pagerank is an inverse logarythmic approximation of actual pagerank... but I mean that pagerank measures the linking power only and not the other factors that determine the quality of a link (are your links on-topic, are your links flagged as sponsored links?, are your links flowing pagerank over the correct anchor text etc. etc.).

john190
02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I have heard that many people have had some good success with using Press Releases.

I may give it ago when I get some time.

I like the idea of daily content. Yum, good. Google likes that.

The press release idea is great. I have nothing but good things to say about PRWeb.com -- the publicity enough alone is worth it. My client was interviewed by a local television station Tuesday and the segment aired that night.