PDA

View Full Version : running multiple websites

tony
12-11-2005, 11:44 AM
people that have 5 or 10+ websteshow do you get time to run them all?

do you work from home, is that where your income comes from, or do you have a full time job aswel?

I work 35-40 hours a week and would find it hard to run that many websites, im just interested to see if its a hobby or a profesion

Cutter
12-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Work from home, trying to get a business degree too -- finals start tommorow. Looks like I'm just not going back next semester. I get it done by working 7 days a week.

deronsizemore
12-11-2005, 02:20 PM
What are you getting your degree in Andrew?

r2d2
12-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I work full time, and am doing an MSc part time, and also 'run' ~10 websites.

I say 'run' because, they don't really need much input to run them - additional work would be a great benefit, but they don't need it to operate day to day.

I plan to give up employment in the next few years sometime.

Masetek
12-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I work freelance as well as publish sites. I learnt quickly that if I invest some time in making a solid cms it will pay off. Now I have integrated all my cms's so I can run 8 sites from 1 admin area. And, now when I create a new site it takes minutes to setup the articles db etc because I just have to resuse my code and add the site to my cms. Makes creating new sites, writing articles and updating really easy and fast.

alien
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I've a full time job and run sites as well.

Cutter
12-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Business Management, was also going for art but I dropped that over a year ago.

Chris
12-12-2005, 07:25 AM
I think everyone here knows that this is my job.

tony
12-12-2005, 09:02 AM
ok fair enough, at 1 time i had sites which was uite hard to run however i think that may be because they were all pretty new, so i ended up selling them when i got a full time job now i just run 1 for extra money and another as i know 1 day the domain will be worth a fair bit so its just something to keep me going an i think running 2 sites is enough for me

chromate
12-13-2005, 06:25 AM
I work from home. Web publishing provides the majority of my income. However, I still freelance a little just as a backup and to keep my "foot in the door."

How do you get the time to run multiple sites? Well, to be honest, I haven't updated my sites for ages. I'm concentrating on some new content sites right now, some of which I'm outsourcing the content creation side of things.

I've also created some custom tools to help me work more efficiently. As I'm focusing on content driven sites at the moment, the major one is an article management system. It's not finished yet, but I will be able to control all my content sites (I plan to develop quite a few) from one hub like admin interface. Freelancers can also log in to add articles to specific sites depending on the access I grant them. Backups are taken across all my new sites at a click of a button. Stuff like that makes it less time consuming to manage multiple sites.