PDA

View Full Version : yahoo domain wtf

thebillionaire
11-30-2005, 02:28 PM
I was gonna buy a domain from yahoo, until I saw their registration form and got reallly pissed. They have a states dropdown menu showing all the states in US, if you choose Canada as your country. So basically I cant register with them. Is it just my computer or is yahoo just screwed up?

MarkB
11-30-2005, 02:29 PM
They don't have an 'Outside US' option?

Chris
11-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Besides that... anyone have any experience with Yahoo? Obviously $2.99 is quite a savings and if they have all the necessary features I might just switch.

ozgression
11-30-2005, 03:45 PM
thebillionaire, I am in Australia and I was able to buy several domains without any hassle.

Besides that... anyone have any experience with Yahoo? Obviously $2.99 is quite a savings and if they have all the necessary features I might just switch.

Chris, their shopping cart only allows you to purchase one domain at a time & their domain management area is pretty much standard (no better or worse than most other registrars).

Chris
11-30-2005, 04:08 PM
one domain at a time? thats queer.

ozgression
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I found it annoying. If there is a way to buy more than one at a time, I couldn't find it. :)

Masetek
11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
I buy all my domains though them now, $2.99/year is a steal! (Im in Aust btw Billionare) The management features are standard. I have been registering my domains for 5 years for 15 bucks! Thats damn cheap, I dont see why you wouldnt want to use them

moonshield
11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
The privacy protection is expensive though. It comes out to about what the domains cost everywhere else.

chromate
11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't see the point of even contemplating switching domain registrars unless you're unhappy with the one you're currently with. Domains are so cheap they're an insignificant expense if you're building a revenue generating site?

I suppose if you have hundreds of domains it might be worth it. :confused:

Chris
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Ya, with 100 domains this is a savings of roughly $500 a year.

Sure... my business makes enough that $500 a year isn't a big deal, but that is not the type of attitude to have if you want to be rich.

If I can save me $500 a year that money goes directly in my pocket.

When you're working for a big company saving money isn't always worth the hassle to you, but when the savings go right to your bank account then its definitely worth looking into.

chromate
11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
I completely agree if you're talking about loads of domains. But in a year or so, for me personally I'm only thinking about perhaps 10-20 domains, so the savings are completely outweighed by the convenience of having all my domains under one roof.

Also with the exchange rates as they are, domains for people in the UK must seem quite cheap.

thebillionaire
11-30-2005, 07:42 PM
im more then happy with godaddy.com even if I have to pay a little extra, plus im pissed at yahoo, my image of them being professional has deminished.

etech-martin
12-02-2005, 04:54 AM
My friend in India has registered domain in last month at Yahoo. He found it so simple and the easiest way for registration there. Yepp, you can register single domain at a time. But you can register multiple domains there as well and they accepts only credit cards. :)